Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,967   Online: 1170

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Pentax K-1000s for community college photo program

This photo department operated with K-1000s for decades before switching to modern Vivitars once the K-1000 was discontinued and the old ones started breaking. Due to incessant problems with the cheap Vivitars that we have been replacing the trusty K-1000s with, the department head has been granted permission to purchase used Pentax K-1000 bodies not in excess of $100 each, including any necessary repairs needed to get the cameras into top operating condition.

If anyone has any working K-1000s that they we can get in our hands and up to snuff for this price, please drop me a line. We are sorry, but we simply are not authorized to pay any more than $100 per fully operational camera. It is a miracle that we are being allowed to shop for used equipment at all!

Thanks very much. It would really help us out to start stocking up on these. The department has over 600 photo students, and working cameras are in short supply.

Drop me a PM, and I will put you in touch with the department head.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the college try and supply every student with a camera on loan; - not instructions to go and get a Pentax MX, Nikon FE etc?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We do both, Mr. Kershaw. We try to encourage students to get their own cameras, but this is a public junior college; the students cannot be expected to buy all their own equipment. They do pay a lab fee for every class so that we can provide them with all the equipment and some of the supplies they need for their classes. Film and paper are the students' responsibility, and we take care of chemicals.

Many of the photo students are not photo majors, and never go beyond the introductory class, which is required of all art majors of any type, and of journalism, film, and television production majors. The more serious photo students usually do get their own cameras, but often not for a few semesters. All the non-major students required to take the basic course place a huge load on the lab. Very few of them use their own film cameras. We only give one-day or one-weekend checkouts, and limit each student to ten checkouts per term per class, so that everyone has a fair chance to get a camera during the week.

As I said, this is a public school. We cannot just dictate new procedures at will. We have to work within the existing system to make changes. Additionally, we are always competing heavily for lab money, because we are part of an extremely good and extremely busy visual arts department. There is a lot of demand in all areas, and not enough money to go around.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-01-2010 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can offer two bodies (see sets in this collection), both with lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritag...7623051780399/
    Postage will be about US$70, so make me a combined offer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the message, Ausphoto.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt that the school will pay $70 shipping. I will forward the information, however.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What I meant, is make me a reasonable offer for both incl. shipping. Maybe I can find my way free to let you guys have it for that, knowing it goes to a public college...
    Dirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the PMs so far. I will get to rounding them all up now, and I will be taking them to the department head this evening.

Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to pass on any of the cameras offered that do not have working meters.

Thanks for all the leads! We have what sounds like at least five good cameras so far. Now, to see how much money we actually have....
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi-
    I've got a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm f2 lens for $25...the meter has been tested and works, and I have thoroughly tested all of the shutter speeds...all function without sticking. It is not the most beautiful, but solid and very functional. I've also got a Ricoh KR-5 with two lenses, flash, and several filters that I could part with for $70. Like the other camera, the meter and the shutter speeds have been tested and both work. Unlike the other, it is in mint condition. This is my first apug post, but I have a user account over at photo.net and at rangefinderforum as glendale10 Thanks!
    -Stephen Bybee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin