Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,534   Online: 969

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sekonic L-558R or Sekonic L-758DR

Need a multi-purpose meter for ambient, flash and spot metering.
    Sekonic L-558R or Sekonic L-758DR preferred.
    Let me know what you have!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, having seen that nobody is entering to help you with more detailed information. I can say you about my experience with same doubt: after a research I decided for L-758DR and I have no regret. Here attached you can find a link that can help you to decide

http://www.sekonic.com/products/Seko...STER_video.asp
    <°Aldo><

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you need to calibrate the 758DR to use it to it's full potential to a film or digital camera sensor to ensure the subject is within the film or sensor's ability to record it, you need to factor into the price the Exposure Profile Target which in the UK costs £123 !.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unless you need/want the ability to trigger PWs from the meter, the "R" models are overkill with their trigger modules--available separately if you need them. The plain old 558 is a superb meter for the money--usually around $300 used in pretty condition. Got mine a year ago and love it. If you want the gonzo software-based sensor/film calibration function(but not the trigger module), then look for the sometimes-hard-to-find 758D--which Sekonic doesn't officially import into N. America, though it's available thru gray market channels. Just be aware that both models come calibrated for either CE or FCC radio frequency ranges, which means they require matching radio trigger modules(i.e., you can't pop a CE module into an FCC-spec meter or vice versa).
    Last edited by CGW; 11-05-2010 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I use Radio Poppers, so the wireless module isn't really important. I do like that the 758 can store more values (9 instead of 3), I used to have a 558 and am kicking myself for selling it! Anyone have one for sale?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I agree, the profiling solution is ridiculously priced. Would be nice to have though and it would be interesting to see if a sensor changes over time and how film calibration changes over the years.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Though I love Sekonic products, the appearance of a USB port on the 758 freaked me and seemed perhaps the first time they'd dreamt up a "feature" of truly dubious utility along with the pricey grayscale target. I see 558s frequently on the big auction site, though they're outnumbered by older 508s and often by 758s sold as new or barely used. They seem to hit the sweet spot in terms of uber-meter features/price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Sekonic L-358 and the 1 degree spot attachment, a Gossen Digipro, a Kenko KFM 2100 ( formally the Minolta Auto meter V1 ) also a now retired Gossen Luna pro SBC and Western Euro master, I know I have a lot of them but I've accumulated them in over fifty years.The Kenko KFM 2100 although it took me two weeks of reading the manual to fully understand all it's capabilitys it's the best meter as well as the biggest I have ever owned, and the most useful for film photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    benjiboy,

The Kenko looks great, but I ended up getting the Sekonic L-758DR off of the auction site. I didn't mean to pay as much but screwed up my bid and ended up paying out about $80 more than I wanted. But Still paid way less than new. If it doesn't work out, I'll seek out that Kenko. Thanks for the info on that.
    Oh, and I should close out this thread as it's still in the want to buy.
    Thanks all,
    Kevin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin