Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,824   Online: 1178

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Nikon AI conversion kit 26 for the earlier 28mm f/2.0 lens

This is a total long shot, but does anyone happen to have this kit around?

I picked up a 28mm f/2.0 lens today that looks to be in good condition. It had a partial conversion - the lens has the ridge and mounts and meters on cameras - but it doesn't work with all the cameras I use. An actual proper conversion would be preferred.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I checked KOH's Camera for you. No dice... Pacific Rim may never have had it. Have you contacted Doug @ Camera Clinic? He might have one somewhere. Or he might be able to redo the notch job so it looks factory-ish. Won't have the second pair of numbers, but it'll then mount on a D70 or N80, etc, without fouling up the minimum aperture switch.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks, I didn't check with Doug, good suggestion.

I have a 24mm 2.8 AI which is nice but a touch too wide for me. The 28mm seemed like a better fit. If the 28mm is really sharp, I'm going to ditch the 24mm and go with it.

I'm trying to keep my lenses compatible with the D70s. Come to think of it though, i have a DX lens from a long time back which covers this range anyway. Less of a priority really. That will make selling the 24mm much easier.

To be honest, I'm still sorting out what Nikon film body works best for me. I have an F4 for serious work and tried an FG as a small body (I wanted something with manual and aperture priority, basically something close to the OM2n) but I'm just not clicking with it. It will probably go at some point soon as well. Its a shame as the one i got from KEH is in very nice condition.
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 12-05-2010 at 02:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Brian,

Sounds like a plan.

Yeah, Doug can finish the AI cut. I've had a few lenses that were modded by Meier's before they moved away. Wasn't that impressed. The cut was just a short notch for the tab on the coupling ring, but not enough to allow you to fit a lens at any aperture (although with my 35/1.4, there was no way to mount the lens with the ring set at f/22, would hit the tab on every AI body I tried it with). Doug's cuts look pretty darn close to factory, except for the fact that it's still the original ring.

With respect to bodies, I know that Kenmore just got a chrome FE2 in recently. That might be worth checking out, since you're not that impressed with the EM/FG series bodies - to tell the truth, nor have I been that impressed with them. Too much plastic for me, and some almost sound like A-series Canons with squeaky mirror boxes.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin