Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,584   Online: 983

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Paper and 35mm film

I have a friend who is getting back into the darkroom. I'd love to help him with some paper and film, but don't have much myself. If anyone has some 8.5x11 RC or 11x14 paper or 35mm black and white film (bulk or loose rolls) they want to sell, let me know. I've bought bogus "gaurenteed" paper before, so please make sure it works -we don't want to deter anyone from film and paper now do we?

He has all the chemicals, I got him some jugs and film developing equipment and he has some 8x10 paper, but he's all out of film and wants some slightly larger paper for some frames he has. Shipping would be to Canada. I might also be interested in some film and 25 sheets of some fibre paper, so don't be afraid to list something that isn't on this particular list.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using all mine so they aren't for sale but I must ask, why doesn't he just head down to a Henry's store and pick some up? Mine have a good selection of Ilford and some Kodak films and papers, some Kentmere.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hpulley is right, people that have good quality paper, that is guaranteed to work usually use it themselves, or work at one of the photo retail stores:-)
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a brand new 100 sheet box of varycon 5x7 rc in the classifieds, possibly some other bigger stuff if I look around. shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sent PM regarding film and possibly some paper. You can have it for free if you pay postage.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hpulley...

It must be nice to live in Guelph then, 'cause the Henry's in Oshawa and Newmarket have next to nothing. He bought a 100pk of 8x10 and it was the really old cardboard colour box that Ilford used when I was in high school. They said that it was "sitting around for years". I was suprised that it still worked. He's not experimenting, but he's just looking to refine his skills at this point. He agrees that when he gets better at printing, he will likely buy new, fibre paper and upgrade equipment as well, but for now he's "just makin' prints" and didn't want to spend a ton of money. Summer is over and his winters are slow, which also means a lack of funds, but lots of time to spend in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There isn't anything in town but within 25 minutes are both the Waterloo and Cambridge stores which are both well stocked and there is another independent, BJ Photo which stocks less but is a 5 minute walk from where I work so it is convenient (they still process 126, 120 and 135 C41 in house). The Toronto store isn't that far away and they offer free shipping at the moment so for stuff in stock at the warehouse you get it next day for nothing.

The MGWT paper I got mail order from Henrys looks very dusty but as you say it still works. I have no idea if it is less than 2 years old (Ilford's recommendation for paper shelf life) or older. Some people complain about the non-existent expiry dates on Ilford stuff (not human readible, just batch numbers) but I've yet to receive a product that was too old to work.

At BJ Photo there are still packets of Microphen which have fact sheets that mention FP4, HP5, no Delta so they must be 20 years old but the crystals last...

If you don't mind shipping from south of the border, Adorama have a cheap house brand paper. You need to order in quantity because the shipping to Canada is very expensive. B&H's new ground shipping to Canada is quite economical however and they even pay the HST for you so there aren't any surprises when it arrives!
    Last edited by hpulley; 12-11-2010 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into BJ Photo. I've explored options south of the border, but for $35 shipping plus border taxes and the absurd UPS brokerage fees that I always seem to get dinged with that are half of what I pay for the product, it's definately not worth it. I've also looked into bigcameraworkshops.com as they are local and support APUG, but sometimes people have some extra stuff lying around and I've had really good luck buying paper from people on this forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some Ilford MG III glossy 8x10 RC that is old, but works fine. I probably have about 75 sheets. I think I also have some 11x14 glossy MG IV RC that is newer. I probably have at least 25 sheets of that, and maybe more. I don't know how I got these, but I know I don't ever print on glossy RC unless I am trying to get rid of it. Drop me a PM and we can talk about a trade or something cheap for your friend.

I wouldn't bother with bulk film right now, with the availability of Arista Premium 100 and 400 through Freestyle (www.freestylephoto.biz). It is rebadged Kodak Plus-X and Tri-X, for half the price.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    ........Adorama have a cheap house brand paper. You need to order in quantity because the shipping to Canada is very expensive. ..
    Contact me to find out about shipping USPS: HelenO@adorama.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin