Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,770   Online: 990

Thread: 4x5 starter kit

Shooter
    Multi Format

4x5 starter kit

Hi Everyone,

I am very excited about getting into the world of larger format photography, and am looking for a beginner's starting kit.

I'm looking for a field camera, a normal lens (150, 210 or so), film holders; the basics to get me going.

If you have anything around you may want to part with, or have any suggestions as to where I might be able to obtain some affordable, reliable equipment, that would be wonderful!

Thank you,
    Jono
    Astoria, NY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't there a Cambo kit for sale in the classifieds right now? Find the ad and send a PM to the seller. If you dont know how to PM here, just click on the user name and follow the prompts.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yeah -- that is a great deal as a starter kit!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, the Cambo looks nice, but OP specified field camera.

Just keep your eye out, there will be one along soon, some on Ebay right now, not a full kit, but some decent looking cameras. What is your ball-park budget? Would help if anyone wants to pass on suggestions for you.

Crown Graphic interest you? These are more portable than a monorail and come up for sale quite frequently. Also, are you a member of Large Format Photography Forum? They have a pretty active classified section as well, but you have to be a member for 30 days to take advantage. Highly recommended, as is this forum. Gotten some GREAT cameras from both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I would like to get a wooden field camera (wista, zone VI, tachihara, or the like). Between the camera and lens, I'd like to keep the budget below $700 for sure, and of course less if possible. Thanks, all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jono, I was in the same situation as you a couple of months back. I can wholeheartedly recommend an APUG member/seller by the handle of B.S Kumar, I bought my 4x5 starter kit off him (Horseman L) and I'm really satisfied with my purchase. He has stuff up for sale regularly and all of it is conservatively rated, i.e if he says it's in BGN condition it's actually in EXC condition. He may have some gear for sale in the classifieds section right now, I'm not sure..but do go and check it out. Good luck in your search.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B.S. Kumar has a couple of outfits for sale right now on LFPF, not sure if they are listed here, most likely they are.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format

4x5 starter kit - field camera

PM sent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thank you all for your suggestions!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin