Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 891

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Acetal Plastic(Delrin)

hey guys,

I need to machine a few odd-sized slip-on lenscaps for various LF lenses I have laying around, so I'm looking to see if anyone has any spare delrin or softer, acetal-type plastic they'd be looking to donate or sell cheaply. I'm also open for trades, please see my latest "odds and ends" listing for whats still available.

preferably round, rod stock, but square stock is fine too, the smallest diameter I'd need would be around 3 inches or so.

thanks!

-Dan
    Last edited by DanielStone; 03-04-2011 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just FYI, it can be any color, not just black. It can be white, hot pink or fuchsia(any color) for all I care

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    b&h sells lens caps by the millimeter. just measure your lens. don't order one size larger like they suggest.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ebay is a good source for small amounts of plastic of metal like this. I've used ABS to make caps like this because it is more impact resistant than Delrin (but it doesn't machine as nice!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wish I could machine my own lens caps! I need some made too, but SK Grimes wants my next 3 paychecks to do it.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff,

I might have a line on getting some scraps of acetal(black) from a friend. IDK exactly yet if its what I'm looking for. dimensions-wise. If you need some made up, let me know dimensions, and I can see about making some for you, of course less than SKG .

cheers

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Delrin is expensive. Teflon or Kestemit is easier and cheaper to find .

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Jeff,

I might have a line on getting some scraps of acetal(black) from a friend. IDK exactly yet if its what I'm looking for. dimensions-wise. If you need some made up, let me know dimensions, and I can see about making some for you, of course less than SKG .

cheers

-Dan
    They would be larger - for older brass lenses and such. Do you think you might be able to make anything larger?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    They would be larger - for older brass lenses and such. Do you think you might be able to make anything larger?

Hey Jeff,

yes, depending on the size needed(PM me with the OD of the lens barrel(so what would be the ID of the cap), and I'll see if its something I can do. Most likely yes . PM me here

cheers,

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Teflon or Kestemit is easier and cheaper to find.
    I'm not familiar with Kestemit, but Teflon might be a little to slick to stay on.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin