Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,064   Posts: 1,611,609   Online: 899

Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB: 4x5 field camera for a beginner.

So, i think i'm going to try and jump into 4x5, and am currently looking for a camera.

From what i've gathered, i'm looking for a technical field camera like a MPP or super graphic, or a little higher end something like a toyo 45a. Something with decent movements, but nothing absurd.

It doesn't matter to me if it looks nice, so long as it works. In fact, i'd prefer it if someone had a beat up user so i could use my funds for lenses.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Buy the best camera you can afford. Figure out if you are "called" by metal, wood, or monorail.
    If you are short on funds just get a graphic or Calumet to start out. Stay away from those cheap Graphic and Kodak Monorails from the 1950's/1960's they are a mess... and on E-bay a lot.
    A Schieder Symmar 150mm, or 180mm are good starter lenses as they are "convertible" to a longer focal length and do a good job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One week bump - nobody's got a camera laying around that needs some use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    4x5 is or can be alot of work.. you gotta go out there and get it... (look on ebay... lots of great prices for field cameras)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    c w.

What will you be shooting with the camera?

I would not rule out the Graphic, Kodak (later known as Calumet), monorail cameras. They are great work horses. I have one of each and enjoy them both.
    Another good work horse would be a Crown Graphic. It does not have the focal plain shutter on the back like a Speed Graphic. Therefore, it is lighter and simpler to use.
    If you can't find one on the forums, try fleabay, local classified ads, pawn shops, or camera show/swapmeets.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.w. View Post
    One week bump - nobody's got a camera laying around that needs some use?
    It would help if you said where you are

The cost of shipping a LF camera is going to add to the costs if it's posted Internationally.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Super Graphics are all over the place on Ebay. But the better movement field cameras from Wista, Toyo etc are still holding their value. It would be hard to find one for under $500. If you want one quick be prepared to pay around $700-800. Else keep waiting for a bargain to show up but there is a long line out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found one, thanks for the help everyone!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin