Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,700   Online: 763

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for broken/donor c3 Matchmatic

I've inherited my grandfather's matchmatic and it was in pretty rough shape. A friend helped re-time the shutter and clean out the inside.

I'm looking for a broken copy that perhaps is in decent enough cosmetic condition that I could swap a few things out with my grandfathers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What parts do you need? Internal or external?

I have five C-3's but none of them are Matchmatics. From what I understand about them, the main difference between the standard C-3 and the Matchmatic is the leatherette covering on the case and a few other cosmetics.

If it's cosmetics you are looking for, I probably don't have anything you can use. If it's mechanics, there might be a solution.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Matchmatic also had a proprietary number system for aperture and exposure, similar to the EV system, so I find the "regular" C-3 easier to use.
    Instead of going through the trouble of swapping out parts, it would probably be financially more feasible to put it on a shelf to display as a keepsake, and then a buy yourself a working C-3 of your choice off eBay to actually use. They're rather inexpensive since they're so plentiful and reliable.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea i was considering just putting it on a shelf but I've already started to do some work to it. Basically I'm just looking for some external parts. The shutter scene dial is scuffed and worn out quite a bit and it's hard to read the numbers. Some of the other dials are in the same shape. I was hopping someone had a matchmatic that is cosmetically nice but had internal issues they'd be willing to part with for a cheap price. Everything else on mine has been lubed and adjusted and works pretty well. Just tryin to pretty her up a little

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the issues are merely cosmetic, then I'd suggest just trolling eBay for one you can get the cheapest, regardless of whether it works. There was also a shoe-mount selenium meter made for the Matchmatic that integrated with the numbered exposure system; it might make for a neat addition to your grandfather's kit.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    If the issues are merely cosmetic, then I'd suggest just trolling eBay for one you can get the cheapest, regardless of whether it works. There was also a shoe-mount selenium meter made for the Matchmatic that integrated with the numbered exposure system; it might make for a neat addition to your grandfather's kit.
    Haha yea Ive got it and it still gives accurate readings!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By chance does anyone know the filter size for the matchmatic? I know there are those series vi filters and everything but I was just trying to find a cheap uv filter to screw on the end. The smallest I have is 43mm and it was too big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some eBay searches for Argus filters, and with almost no exceptions the size that keeps popping up is 41mm.
    website | Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    I did some eBay searches for Argus filters, and with almost no exceptions the size that keeps popping up is 41mm.
    Thanks so much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, pryan9;

A couple of suggestions for argus* C3 and MatchMatic C3 resources:

http://www.arguscg.org.

arguscg@yahoogroups.com (for sending a message to them)

or, just go to YahooGroups.com, and hunt for the arguscg Group.

And, you just missed their annual gathering in Eden, North Carolina. There are a lot of people there who are willing to share knowledge and help with repairs.

You have one of the cameras that did more than the combined efforts of all other 35mm cameras to make 35mm film the film format of choice for America back in the 1950s and 1960s. There were more than two million of them made during their production from 1939 to 1966. While many today look derisively at "that lowly argus C3." there is no denying the effect that their shear weight of numbers had on photography in America. It was "the people's camera." There are millions of people today who can say; "My Dad had a C3." Unfortunately, as with your grandfather, most of the original purchasers of these cameras are gone now, so much of the history associated with these simple cameras is being lost.

* By the way, that lack of capitalization is not an error. Normally it was written with a lower case "a" as shown.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin