Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Nikon F3 or FE2

I want to ditch my Canon FD stuff and get some Nikon gear. I would prefer a nice F3 (HP finder) but could also use a nice FE2. In either case, I don't have any glass.*

I am not looking to make a purchase until I get back from a potentially expensive trip next week, so we have plenty of time to work out a deal. In general I'd like to avoid the sellers on evilBay while not having to pay KEH prices.

* - an AI lens in the 40-50mm range would be appreciated, but I can find one elsewhere if you have just a camera body. Let me know, too, whether you have a 28mm f/2.8 or a 135 f/3.5, whatever the decent wide and telephoto offerings from Nikon are. I'd be looking to replace my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/2.8 with Nikon gear.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a thought...Check the KEH as-is bin. I got a nice user FE2 for $40. All I can see wrong with it is some brassing, a missing trim cap on the rewind lever and it needed foam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have also had some incredible luck with KEH's as is section.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another plug for KEH. I bought the bargain speed winder for my F3HP and it looks brand new. A friend bought a couple of Contax G2's that were rated bargain and they also look great. You can also return them if you need to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, I paid $12.00 for the speed winder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a $3 Nikon FM at KEH out of the as-is bin... I tore it apart and immediately put it back together, and I had a $100 camera... I sold it at a yard sale, as I already had an FM, but it was the best $3 I ever spent on the Internet. I'm going to purchase a bad foam Minolta today, to go with a 45mm lens I have.

If you buy a "working" camera from KEH, go with the bargain grade, as the cameras are still fully functional and only have a few "battle scars" on them. Expect to give it a good cleaning after you get it, as I've found "bargain" cameras are sometimes a "bargain" only because they are dirtier than an "excellent" camera.

I'd go with the F3hp if you wear glasses, but even without my glasses on, I prefer the F3hp to my mother's FE2 or my FM, as the viewfinder in the "amateur" cameras is hard to see all at once, especially with the information scattered around the frame, as opposed to all of the info at the top of the F3 finder. Also, the motor drive is better/faster/stronger, and the waistlevel finder is useful on the F3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you interested by an FE ? The main difference would be flash synch speed but at least with the FE you can use non-AI lenses in stop-down mode.

I have one for sale : http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-nikon-fe.html

Finer-grained analysis of differences here (7 pages):

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/fe2/fe2a.htm
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did look in KEH's "as is" bin, but it didn't look that promising.

Also, I settled on shopping for the F3 and FE2 after a 2 hour conversation with my local camera shop guy and also getting the chance to hold and inspect both. So I'm pretty set one these two models. In fact, I'm determined to own one of each at some point, but my budget tells me to get one, get some lenses, and then eventually get the other. I'd prefer the F3 first just because I liked its feel a bit more.

Also, I'm in Central Pennsylvania in case anyone was wondering. I keep forgetting the huge international community we have here.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi D:

For the 50mm if you want to save a few bucks I would recommend the 1.8 series E; amazing performance for the price! 75-150mm Series E zoom is also a great performer. Most of the E series are crap, but not these two!

Cheers,

John
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to let everyone know, I recieved a PM about an F3P, but no further response yet. Still looking!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin