Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,584   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB - 4x5" Plate Holder - Linhof or Similar

I'm looking for a plate holder that will fit in a standard 4x5" spring back and has a pressure plate that pushes the plate against the perimeter of the holder, at the focal plane. I can clarify if that doesn't make sense...

Here is what the Linhof look likes - http://glennview.com/jpgs/vcam/linho.../4x5/big_1.jpg

If you've got one, let me know and we'll figure out a price that works for both of us.

Thanks!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Besides looking as rough as a yeti, can someone tell me if indeed this is a plate holder?

eBay #170655490086

It appears as though there is a single metal leaf spring. I don't know how useful it would be for my purpose, but worth checking...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are plate holders, I've German 9x12 holders with similar springs. Quick flick of black paint or some stain and they'd look good

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm.. so this is effectively the same as the Linhof, but I'll need a piece of glass on the backside to allow that leaf-spring to work.

The price is right

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No they work as is, the spring holds the plate against the front, it won't break a plate it's not that strong. If you want to use film though then some use glass, card or a proper metal insert.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 06-15-2011 at 03:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh, ok. I kind of mispoke. The Linhof is much more sophisticated, having the whole back asserting pressure.

Do you think (I realize this is a hard thing to judge) that if I put a mask (RGB reseau on E6) in front of a piece of film in this holder that it will hold them completely flush?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could put a thin piece of card or metal behind, those holders may be more tolerant than the Linhof's which are post WWII so possibly dual function plate & film.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A sudden late night thought (as I'm in Europe).

What about Graflex film pack holders, cheap as they are useless but you could adapt to do all sorts with a home made pressure plate.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's not a bad idea at all. I probably wouldn't have ventured to make a pressure plate on my own accord, but now that you mention it.. it doesn't sound that hard.

So is the back surface of the holder rigid & strong enough to support the push of a spring? And what to use for the spring material... hmm.. I can almost see it!

Since it's really late there now, please dream up the rest of the details.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok, having looked up some pictures I see that there are already 2 leaf springs present. If that's the case, then it's just a matter of finding a material for the plate that's of suitable thickness.

Could it really be that easy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin