Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,790   Online: 1075

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB - 5-10 point and shoot 35mm cameras

I just got the approval to do another photography program with homeless youth at the Salvation Army Sutton Youth Shelter here in Ontario where I work. I have a bunch of 35mm SLR cameras, film, film processing equipment that was gratiously donated by some APUG members as well as other community members. But, as I found out from the last program, starting with 35mm point and shoot cameras is ideal and then working towards the SLRs. So, I'm looking for some point and shoot 35mm film cameras that are in working order. I don't want to be too picky about them, but they have to be working and able to produce printable results (we'd be looking at exhibition shows with 11x14, 16x20 and 20x24 prints from them). I'm going to be fronting the money myself or if you're in Canada, I can also offer a gift-in-kind receipt for donations for a fair value of the item if you're interested.

I don't know much about 35mm point-and-shoot cameras, so maybe this would be a good place to throw me some suggestions. I've look for "lots" on ebay and found some, but they're all "as is" and I really don't know the quality of them. I trust APUG members to have some decent ones lying around that work, so that's why I'm posting here. PM me if you have any advice or offerings. I could also trade for some 120 film if you're interested in doing it that way (it would save me some money as well).

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have any thrift stores in your area? Go in with a pocketful of AA batteries and give them all a simple test to see if they work. Around here they usually go for $3 maximum, and if you bought 10 maybe they'd give you a discount.

Sounds like a great project.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll look around and see what I can find for you. Unfortunately I'm traveling until 7/22 for my honeymoon but anything I do find is yours if you want it. I'll PM you and let you know if I come up with anything.

I wish your project the best!!!
    Ultimately, Photography is subversive, not when it frightens, repels, or even stigmatizes, but when it is pensive, when it thinks. --from Camera Lucida, Roland Barthes

---
    Websites: HeyMatthew.com | Flickr | SeventyFivePointFour
    Cameras: Canon 5D2 | Ricoh GRD III | Fuji Klasse

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know what sort of slr cameras you might have, but I have an assortment of 62mm glass filters in the classifieds you could have if they fit your cameras . http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/91997-fs-62mm-glass-filters.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many are you looking for and how soon? I have a bunch that would need to be tested. Most need rather pricey lithium batteries and I just havn't got around to it yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can reload disposable cameras. Going to try this really soon:

http://glsmyth.com/Pinhole/Articles/...bleCameras.htm

You can get disposable camera from local retailers, like Wal-Mart, just let them know what you're doing and most are happy to give you a few cameras - or goto a 1 hour photo lab and they likely have a box of cameras that they already took the film out of that they might just give you. If you have a choice, Kodak makes the best disposible camera in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow...lots of good response so far. I have PMed some of you and I'll take all these tips into consideration and look into them further.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a number of good film-tested p&s's that I would be willing to donate to this cause for the price of shipping. I will pack as many as I can into a medium flat rate box, if you are interested. You will have to provide your own batteries for them, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your support, but I have over double the P&S cameras I need. Would consider other items that might be of use to the project if you can think of any.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin