Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,299   Online: 899

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

WTB - Assorted Large Format things

For the past year I have had a 4x5 camera in my room an have been unable to use it. Time to rectify that. Here's what I need/want:

1) Handheld light meter, preferably affordable with both incident and spot metering.

2) Paterson Orbital: Doesn't need to be beautiful, but it seems like the best solution for daylight processing large negatives and can also be used for 8x10 if I get a larger camera in the future

3) normal/wide-normal lens, preferably 135mm in a modern shutter.

4) Just an inquiry here: My camera is an old Calumet monorail that takes 4x4 lensboards. These seem to be less common and harder to find in different sizes than, say, a Technika board. Is there an adapter out there so I can use Technika boards on my Calumet?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

David
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old Calumet 4x4 lensboards can be made from just about anything from stiff cardboard to mahogany or any other nice wood. I have a couple of Calumets and make my own lensboards. I use doubled up posterboard to test lenses when I'm in a hurry. There is a fellow on ebay that makes decent ones for cheap. I had him make an adapter board for using Calumet boards on my Cambo.
    Keep an eye out for a lens from a Polaroid 110 or 110a or b, 127mm Wollensak on the 110 and Rodenstock 127mm on the a and b models. These cover 4x5 handily with plenty of movement.
    You can develope 4x5 using the "taco" method in a plastic two reel film tank. If you would like a daylight tank, I will give you one for the cost of shipping only. It's adjustable and holds up to 12 sheets.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding the meter, much depends on your definition of "affordable' but a meter that does incident, reflective, and spot metering starts to get expensive quickly, a Sekonic multi-function will cost more than the rest of your kit. You can work with a meter like a Luna Pro SBC which uses standard batteries, these are available used for around 60 - 75 USD. It can't do spot metering without an attachment, but spot metering isn't truly necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Older used Soligor Spot Sensor

Spot Sensor--gray, working-but don't know how accurate (may need batteries) sn: 11612 extra meter that I don't need anymore $75/s/h

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The old Calumet 4x4 lensboards can be made from just about anything from stiff cardboard to mahogany or any other nice wood. I have a couple of Calumets and make my own lensboards. I use doubled up posterboard to test lenses when I'm in a hurry. There is a fellow on ebay that makes decent ones for cheap. I had him make an adapter board for using Calumet boards on my Cambo.
    Rick, do you know the user name of this person?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    You can develope 4x5 using the "taco" method in a plastic two reel film tank. If you would like a daylight tank, I will give you one for the cost of shipping only. It's adjustable and holds up to 12 sheets.
    I have tried the taco method before and I just never could trust my negatives to it. Maybe just a pet peeve. I think I have my sights set on the orbital because it is both a daylight tank and it uses low amounts of chemicals.
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    david

you might also look into a unicolor print drum.
    it is a daylight drum and can hold 4 sheets of film ( they use 200cc/dev/2 sheets. )
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/
    has some info on it ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=sidearm613;1208196]Rick, do you know the user name of this person?

He goes by MCMCH
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree that even cardboard lens boards work well. I make them from hobby store plywood, too.

The Unicolor drums work well. And the "Mod processor" that has been discussed a lot here recently seems to be on its way to the new standard over the taco method.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mod processor you say? Wazzat?
    David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin