Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,669   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

WTB: Nikon AI conversion thingie

I need three of these little guys. Yes I know I can just get out the old Dremel and cut the f-stop ring to fit, but I would rather do this if at all possible. The other question is, does this same "prong" thing work for all pre-AI Nikkor lenses?

I have attached a photo of what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1476_sm.jpg  
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one sells those clamp on AI "notches", you have to custom make one for each lens, as the length depends on the max aperture of the lens. Those older lenses have a threaded aperture ring and are not thick enough to catch the AI tab when machined, which is why someone made that small extender piece.

Edit, you still have to machine some of those rings so they don't run under the AI tab and stress it to the point of breaking.

2nd edit, and the machined notch on that one should run way to the right, it wasn't done properly.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here, check this out. http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html#ai_pos
    Might as well get your dremel out, i used an angle grinder, lol.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We used to do a lot of AI conversions, 30+ years ago. Nikon sold conversion kits that included a new aperture ring.

I've never seen the little hook piece. Must have been custom-made by somebody... not Nikon.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try www.kohcamera.com
    Jimmy Koh has a few of these Nikon factory conversion kits left and they are specific for each lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John White at http://www.aiconversions.com is still in business as far as I know - he'd be worth talking to, especially if you're in North America. He does a very nice job.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's vote for John White, I have been his customer and he does a great job.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are hack-job conversions that result in functional lenses but are irreversible and there conversions that use genuine Nikon factory conversion kits that allow you to undo your conversion without damage to the lens. Also a conversion with a genuine Nikon factory conversion kit results in a lens that is both functional and that has lost nothing of its collector value (as owners used the factory service to upgrade their lens). Also, the conversion with a genuine kit is a dead easy job.... just loosen some screw and swap out a ring, as well as the rabbit ears (see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritag...es/4862704880/ )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And the above link should have been
    http://www.kohscamera.com/
    Sorry for that!

[edit] I have no direct interest in koh's camera except that I am a very happy customer of his
    Last edited by ausphoto; 07-18-2011 at 07:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    well I guess it's the dremal. now to get the screws out. they seem to be frozen in.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin