Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,090   Online: 989

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Componon HM or Rodagon-N 90mm

hey all,

I'm looking for one of these top-tier MF enlarging lenses. Yes, the 90mm focal length vs the 80mm, I know these are rarer than the 80mm's, but I prefer having a larger image circle(even though I shoot 6x6), and more room from the enlarging head to the easel.

if you have one, please PM me here with a picture or two if possible.

I missed the one that just sold for $400 on ebay just yesterday oops, shoulda bought it when I first saw it !

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 90mm N and it almost covers 4x5. Not that I'd use it for that format if it did. Not for sale though.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont think they ever made an apo rodagon N 90mm. There was a non N apo rodagon 90, but for the N versions they went to an 80, which is fantastic, I have one, and a 105 mm N version.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The 90mm f/4 APO Rodagon N was sold as recently as the early 1990s as a 6 x 7cm format enlarging or process lens. Later, Rodenstock introduce the higher magnification 80mm f/4 APO Rodagon N for 6 x 7cm format and discontinued the 90mm version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    guys,

I'm intending on starting small(like 7x7") on Ilfochrome sometime this fall, when I have all my ducks in a row. However, whichever way I go process and materials choice, I'd still like the option of going big(like 18x18 on 20x24 paper) from my negs/chromes. Hence, looking for one of these lenses, which were designed for this purpose.

Is the newer, more readily available 80mm Rodagon-N a better option in the long run for LARGE enlargements(such as 18x18" from 6x6) than the 90mm?

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    In terms of accuracy of the projection, there is no difference between the 80/4 and the 90/4 APO Rodagon N enlarging lenses. Both are 7-element lenses.

The difference in image circles is irrelevant for a 6 x 6 cm film, as both lenses are stated by Rodenstock to fully cover the 6 x 7 cm format at all projection sizes of 2X-10X(optimum)-15X.

To determine what projection size this translates into, simply multiply the window opening in the carrier by the magnification.

To make a 18.5” x 18.5” projection of the 55.5mm x 55.5mm window in a 6 x 6 cm carrier requires 8.47X.

With an 80mm lens you need 846.8mm from negative to print.

With a 90mm lens it’s 952.6mm.

If it were me I’d choose the 80mm lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin