Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,970   Posts: 1,632,722   Online: 836

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Componon HM or Rodagon-N 90mm

hey all,

I'm looking for one of these top-tier MF enlarging lenses. Yes, the 90mm focal length vs the 80mm, I know these are rarer than the 80mm's, but I prefer having a larger image circle(even though I shoot 6x6), and more room from the enlarging head to the easel.

if you have one, please PM me here with a picture or two if possible.

I missed the one that just sold for $400 on ebay just yesterday oops, shoulda bought it when I first saw it !

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 90mm N and it almost covers 4x5. Not that I'd use it for that format if it did. Not for sale though.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Film photography? This term kills me. As if there's another kind!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont think they ever made an apo rodagon N 90mm. There was a non N apo rodagon 90, but for the N versions they went to an 80, which is fantastic, I have one, and a 105 mm N version.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The 90mm f/4 APO Rodagon N was sold as recently as the early 1990s as a 6 x 7cm format enlarging or process lens. Later, Rodenstock introduce the higher magnification 80mm f/4 APO Rodagon N for 6 x 7cm format and discontinued the 90mm version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    guys,

I'm intending on starting small(like 7x7") on Ilfochrome sometime this fall, when I have all my ducks in a row. However, whichever way I go process and materials choice, I'd still like the option of going big(like 18x18 on 20x24 paper) from my negs/chromes. Hence, looking for one of these lenses, which were designed for this purpose.

Is the newer, more readily available 80mm Rodagon-N a better option in the long run for LARGE enlargements(such as 18x18" from 6x6) than the 90mm?

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    In terms of accuracy of the projection, there is no difference between the 80/4 and the 90/4 APO Rodagon N enlarging lenses. Both are 7-element lenses.

The difference in image circles is irrelevant for a 6 x 6 cm film, as both lenses are stated by Rodenstock to fully cover the 6 x 7 cm format at all projection sizes of 2X-10X(optimum)-15X.

To determine what projection size this translates into, simply multiply the window opening in the carrier by the magnification.

To make a 18.5” x 18.5” projection of the 55.5mm x 55.5mm window in a 6 x 6 cm carrier requires 8.47X.

With an 80mm lens you need 846.8mm from negative to print.

With a 90mm lens it’s 952.6mm.

If it were me I’d choose the 80mm lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin