Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,900   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 135mm f/2 is my theatre lens, the poor man's 200mm f/2 I guess! An IS version has been rumoured for years but no sign of it still so I'm glad I bought mine instead of waiting forever as some seem to do for future lens rumours.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will Thompson has both and I believe has taken a 200 i.8 apart! So he's one to talk to!

Asher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I seem to be doing a lot of shooting from the house in dark theaters this past year, so I've been on the lookout for one of these in good working order (autofocus not broken and hood attaches properly) with clean glass. Trunk case isn't a necessity, and I'm not too worried about the cosmetics of the barrel.

David,

I'm glad you are so busy. I have done a huge amount of work in dim light for music performances and ballet and can attest to the challenge. I find that under-exposing 1-2 stops at ISO 1600 and then recovering the highlights works well with my Can 5DII. Stage lighting that appears great to the stage production folk, is often very harsh and over contrasty for photography with rapid gradient from over-exposure to horrible shadows. With digital workflow using Capture One, very good results can be had shooting at f4.0-5.6. Only rarely do I use f 2.8 as the DOF tends to be too limited for more than a few people moving on stage.

So I don't think that f2.0 is needed. The 70-200 2.8 L works so well and has the advantage of allowing zoom to cover more of the cast if need be. I use a sound blimp, and I cannot imagine having two blimped bodies, one with a 200 f1.8 and another with a 70-200 2.8L which is needed anyway in most cases, unless a 50mm is needed for the entire stage.

Asher

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input, Asher.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin