Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,791   Online: 1158

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    ... I've never seen the magazine but I love the name. What was it about?
    The official title is, "The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography". Also on the masthead, "How-2 & Y". The Journal #1 was published in April 1998. The last issue, #9, was April 2004. It was a black and white publication measuring 9-1/4 x 11-1/4, with 48 pages per issue. Judy Seigel publisher. Her address is: 61 Morton Street, New York, NY 10014.

An authorized free PDF of #1 is available here: www.alternativephotography.com/books/post_factory_issue1.pdf

The bulk of the articles by Judy and many others are about handmade photo processes - Gum, Cyanotype, Van Dyke Brown, Pt/Pd, etc. There are also some early articles on making digital negatives.

The collection is a well worth having and an enjoyable read.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just my .02. I have worked with and known Judy for over 35 years. She has not made a penny from Post Factory - it was a labor of love. If you are thinking about scanning her work, think again - you are stealing. For years I have urged Judy to make PDF copies available for purchase - she has adamantly refused and argued that she only wants printed copies to be available. Proceed with great caution if you are thinking about scanning and distributing. Not only are you dishonoring the person that made the content available, but you are short circuiting folks like Judy Seigel who devoted part of her life to make the information available. Proceed with "great caution" if you are considering scanning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't get the link to work. Are you sure it is correct? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gschmitz View Post
    Just my .02. I have worked with and known Judy for over 35 years. She has not made a penny from Post Factory - it was a labor of love. If you are thinking about scanning her work, think again - you are stealing. For years I have urged Judy to make PDF copies available for purchase - she has adamantly refused and argued that she only wants printed copies to be available. Proceed with great caution if you are thinking about scanning and distributing. Not only are you dishonoring the person that made the content available, but you are short circuiting folks like Judy Seigel who devoted part of her life to make the information available. Proceed with "great caution" if you are considering scanning.
    Thanks for the words of warning, which I think are only appropriate.

I guess Ms. Seigel might be opposed to making PDF's for the reason that they could easily be pirated, though such a concern is kind of silly in this age of scanning, QTR and rapid propagation. A paper copy offers little more protection than a PDF.

Perhaps she is like the majority of analog enthusiasts and wishes to preserve an experience of tactility to the journal? IDK...

But at any rate, paper copies are not even available! There are a number of people who are actively seeking the collection of PFP and yet cannot find it, myself included. Attempts have been made to contact her to no avail. I think we'd gladly pay a reasonable price for it and the resultant effects of this information being accessible to a new rank of analoggists might be surprsing.

What I'm saying is that we would love to pay homage & support Judy's efforts, but at the present time it appears we are unable to do so. So in a sense, she has short circuited herself. I think we can all appreciate that she has devoted a huge piece of herself to make this publication possible and I for one would love to be fully inspired by her efforts. Again, I'm not able to do so.

Is it possible for you to talk to her about this?

If she is unwilling to make copies available, she is creating a "market" for piracy, which may ultimately make a later campaign to reinvigorate the journal totally fruitless.

Shooter
    35mm
    I disagree on many levels BUT paper copies are available here

postfactoryjournal@gmail.com

Hope this helps

David
    What's wrong is wrong even if everyone does it. What's right is right even if nobody does it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what you mean David. Are you referring to my post, and if so, what are you finding disagreeable?

I thought I was making a fairly rational point...

At any rate, I'm going to email this address and see what turns up. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I see where the misunderstanding may have risen from.

The prices for prints on alternativephotography.com are reasonable, but I seem to recall in a previous discussion that they aren't actually available anymore. I've emailed, so we'll see.

But I don't mean any disrespect to Ms. Seigel, I just mean to say that I hope they can be made available and that there are people who want it and can't get it. That's what could lead to rampant piracy of an otherwise profitable commodity.

Hope that makes sense..

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    I'm sorry but I just see red when the victim of a crime is said to be at fault when trying to justify why the offence occurred. We are all responsible for our own actions. Anyway, the address above connects with Judys' daughter so you should get a reply. Good luck!
    What's wrong is wrong even if everyone does it. What's right is right even if nobody does it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David,

It was really not my intention to blame Judy or anybody. I'm sorry that I came off as such. Indeed, I've never been offered a scan of the WPF nor am I seeking one... so no "crime" has even been committed.

I was just trying to say that the situation as it is, is unfortunate (if indeed it is impossible to obtain copies of the journal, which it might not be) and that such a circumstance would leave people no other choice but to seek illegal copies.

But I digress... I understand what you're saying and if your signature is any indication, you are striving to say & do what's right, which is of course commendable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    I understand. Good luck with your quest

David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin