Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,593   Online: 938

Shooter
    Multi Format

75 mm coated lens , covering 6x6, f3.5 or faster, in shutter

I give up. Can't find any decent lenses on that auction site for a Frankenstein camera project. If anybody has an errant lens of good quality (say, Xenar, Hexar, Zuiko, or surprise me) in this focal length, COATED (I shoot mostly color) please let me know. Better is better, but if you have a sleeper, don't keep it to yourself. TIA.

--nosmok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not f3.5 but f4.5 I bought a superb 75mm Coated Super Angulon f8 about 3 years ago (mint in original box). It's maybe too good for color work but it's excellent for full colour work and it doesn't flare despite being pre-MC. It was cheap as well. They are around and are sleepers everyone goes for the 65mm SA.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's maybe too good for color work but it's excellent for full colour work
    You mean anyone who shoots color doesn't deserve this lens, but if you shoot colour then that's OK? That's funny.

Or were you serious and saying something about what kind of work it is really good for?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I suppose you are looking for something at a rock bottom price?
    Try looking for a mamiya 80mm TLR lens pair.

If you dont need something to mount in a shutter, try a 75mm enlarging lens. Theres a el-omegon for $10

If you already have a shutter, let us know what size it is maybe someone has some orphaned cells.

Mhh.. i may have a ysaron 74mm f4.5 in a shutter.. I will look for you.

Faster than f3.5 is harder. at f4.5 there are lots of raptars, tri-optars, etc that will work well.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What is this Frankencamera project? Just about any 6x6 SLR or TLR system has a 75-80mm f:2.8 or f:3.5 lens standard, and there are many very inexpensive cameras of this type. What is this Frankencamera going to do that couldn't just be done with an ordinary 6x6 reflex camera? If it involves shooting panos on 35mm, you could just as well crop from a 6x6 neg and have more flexibility in cropping from any part of the image circle.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a mamiya sekor 75mm in copal press shutter that looks like it covers 3x4 or 6x9. It comes from an old scope camera. But it is f5.6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like David said, there are a bajillion of these lenses out there. Every wedding photographer who couldn't afford a Rollei used a Mamiya C*** and they all came standard with an 80mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You mean anyone who shoots color doesn't deserve this lens, but if you shoot colour then that's OK? That's funny.

Or were you serious and saying something about what kind of work it is really good for?
    Was a late night quip but there's some seriousness behind it.

There's issues with some early coated lenses and colour photography due to the effects of the colour of the coatings themselves. This is most noticeable with some early German coated lenses which gave very distinct blue casts to colour images, these need a strong warm up filter to compensate (with transparency films).

Companies became more aware of these issues and some lenses were designed more specifically for colour work and the coatings balanced to have less effect. The term single coating is more about the technique than the actual number of coatings, many pre Multi-coating lenses had more than one coating on each lens surface.

So yes there can be quite a difference between coated lenses, it may be subtle like the spelling difference between the US Color and British Colour but the extreme's quite severe.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Original poster returns, with the (lame) story. I have a Weltur 6x6 folder that has a nice 75mm uncoated Tessar, wonderfully fast also at f/2.9, in a compur rapid. I know from another folder that this Tessar flares like the bejesus if you even mention the sun's existence. I shoot a lot of color, so I was thinking/hoping to find a more recent color coated lens that would flare less than the Tessar and not be too much slower, as I like the out of focus areas the fast lens provides. I bought a 'scope lens but the thing is huge; want to preserve the portability. Thought about the 80-- but it probably wouldn't fold with an extra 5mm of spacers. I have a lens that might be a candidate, but it is on a collectible thing that I would like to sell because money is a little tight right now. Bought a cheap Olympus 6, but the rear element is thick with grime and the shutter is a lot worse than the Compur. So I figured I'd shake the tree. The Welturs are my 2nd favorite folder-- one with a coated lens would rock, and enable me to free up a few other folders for others to enjoy. Nothing too special, just trying to manage an unruly herd.

--nosmok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My early 1950's coated Tessar is very flare resistant, it's heavily coated but that affects the colour blance. however it's been fine when the zoom on the DSLR has been unusable as has my 75mm Super Angulon.

You might look for a coated Rodenstock Trinar, I picked one up on this forum a few years ago, it's a good lens despite being a triplet.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin