Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,554   Online: 951

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Loupe for contact sheets, (truly) lintless gloves, film cleaner, wax pencil

You can probably surmise from the list what I'm doing. I'm making contact sheets and with an inadequate jeweller's loupe finding all sorts of dust and fingerprints! hah!

This just seemed like the kind of stuff that 8 out of 10 of you fellas (and ladies) probably have lying in all sorts of drawers and wouldn't mind getting rid of. Yes of course I could go out and buy them, but my favorite hand is the 2nd hand!

Let me know if you've got anything, thanks!

Loupe - the kind that allows light in the sides and will allow me to view a full 35mm frame with it flat on the contact sheet.
    Lintless gloves - not the typical cotton gloves that put lint everywhere, but perhaps nylon or some material that is legitimately lint-free.
    Film cleaner - something simple to use that will clean off finger-prints and nose oil (applied to hide scratches).
    Wax pencil - something to circle images on contact sheets and also to write on chemical containers.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a silver sharpie on my contact sheets, works like a champ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For more gloves than you ever thought were made, http://www.coleparmer.com/Search/cotton%20gloves/Page=2

Film cleaner, These days, Ronsonol lighter fluid, or 99% Isopropyl alcohol. Kodak used to bottle hexane for this purpose, but I doubt it now. Way back when, carbon tetrachloride was excellent, so were the various Freons. The first two aren't even available in southern CA due to new CARB rules.

BTW, PEC-12 is mostly methanol if you are inclined to spend a large amount of money for it. I doubt it will be available in CA until it is packaged in a spray can
    with a minimum of 25% propellant.

For a loupe, http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoL...loupe-55x.aspx
    expensive, but nice.
    Bob

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another route is bigger negatives. Try 8x10. No loupe needed to look at the negatives. Now you need it to focus the camera. Lint is very small relative to the negative. If you are spotless in the development and drying processes you have less lint and no cleaning.

I use cotton gloves from B&H Photo, but there is much argument whether this is the correct route. It works for me.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks y'all.

I'm gonna visit my local Michaels for grease pencils and it sounds like the hardware store for film cleaner. I've got a member who's gonna dig up a loupe for me and as for the gloves, cole-parmer looks like a good place to look!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin