Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,163   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Yashica FR-I w/ lens (28/50mm)

Hi everyone, been trying to find one of these in good shape as they can use the Contax Zeiss lenses (which I don't presently have, but wouldn't mind saving up for!)

If you have one of these laying around with a lens or two, let me know! Maybe we can work something out.

- Abram
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Abram - Must it be an FR 1 or would something like an FX-3 be OK? (Or how about going for the Contax 167MT which is just a sweetie and a phenomenal bargain at today's prices?)

Best,
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon,

If it's to be a Yashica body then yes the FR-I is the one I'm after. Reason being is I ultimately would want a Contax RTS, I just don't have the budget for one right now, but if I can start with the FR then work my way up to the RTS then that would be fun.

I hadn't considered other Contax bodies but the 167 sounds Similar to the FR. Ultimately I'm after a "semi-modern" metal bodied camera. All my Canon gear is well made but there is so much plastic involved it bothers me on some days. I just want to have a nice solid 35mm SLR to use on the street with my (you didn't hear this) digital cameras.

I also figured the Yashicas weren't as popular as older Nikon Fs or Canon Pro-grade FD.

I'm open to suggestions though!

- Abram
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The FX-3 is light but quite rugged and plentiful and I think less expensive than the FR-1. I'd not foreclose that option. There are 3 models in the FX-3 lineup, the FX-3, FX-3 Super and FX-3 2000. The only real difference between them at a practical level is the faster shutter speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FX-3 is quite nice, specially the small size (I had the one with the 2000 shutter speed). I was lucky to have a very reliable meter on the one I had. Strangely enough my favorite lens was the ML (?) 50/2, the one with swirly bokeh. Good luck with the search!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I really like the FX-3 but you need to know that the shutter sounds like a bomb going off ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a $41 FR-1 on KEH right now. They also have a $59 UGLY RTS, a $39 167 and $33 and $59 139's too. With KEH in my experience their ratings are very conservative. Plus there warranties and return policies very good.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's also partially why I want the FR. Cloth vs metal shutter.

There are a handful On eBay but I don't like taking chances on there.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind that the FR/FRI/FRII film counter will (nearly 100%) not work. The little plastic/nylon gear dries out and breaks. There are no replacement parts. The camera still functions fine with out it. If it's automatic you're after consider the Yashica FX-D, a relative of the Contax 139Q. I just bought one in great condition with 50mm lens for $25.00. Seals needed replaced, so a kit was ordered from Jon Goodman. FXD is a great camera to use but lacks the depth of field preview button of the FR series. I use both Yashica and Contax. Great cameras IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Rich, I didn't think to check KEH, I've always had good luck with them in the past.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin