Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,306   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa Record III with Solinar lens

So I have finally decided that I need to "thin the herd" a little bit, and get rid of at least one of my many medium format cameras. After much deliberation I chose this Agfa Record III with Solinar lens. It was purchased on eBay last year from Mr. Jurgen Kreckel of Certo6 fame, who performed the CLA and installed the new bellows. The camera is a great performer, and other than a tripod socket which wasn't staying crimped in place (which I have since fixed), there have been no problems with it. The attached image of the shutter speed test from Mr. Kreckel shows that the shutter would appear to be accurate, and my experience in the field bears this out. Similarly, the lens is very clean with no scratches, fungus, or anything like that, and the rangefinder is accurate.

I don't have a case or lens cap to pass along, but as you can see from the picture below, I am including a Series VI push-on adapter ring that fits the lens - very handy for mounting Series filters if you are so inclined.

I'm looking for $325(US) + shipping, and I accept Paypal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190029.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	54346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190031.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	54352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190032.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	54353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190036.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	54354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190038.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	54355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1200002.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	54356

Shooter
    Multi Format

1/100

Quote Originally Posted by Denverdad View Post
    So I have finally decided that I need to "thin the herd" a little bit, and get rid of at least one of my many medium format cameras. After much deliberation I chose this Agfa Record III with Solinar lens. It was purchased on eBay last year from Mr. Jurgen Kreckel of Certo6 fame, who performed the CLA and installed the new bellows. The camera is a great performer, and other than a tripod socket which wasn't staying crimped in place (which I have since fixed), there have been no problems with it. The attached image of the shutter speed test from Mr. Kreckel shows that the shutter would appear to be accurate, and my experience in the field bears this out. Similarly, the lens is very clean with no scratches, fungus, or anything like that, and the rangefinder is accurate.

I don't have a case or lens cap to pass along, but as you can see from the picture below, I am including a Series VI push-on adapter ring that fits the lens - very handy for mounting Series filters if you are so inclined.

I'm looking for $325(US) + shipping, and I accept Paypal.

Name:	_1190029.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	54346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190031.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	54352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190032.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	54353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190036.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	54354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1190038.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	54355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1200002.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	54356
    Does the speed test mean that the shutter functions well (accurate) only up to 1/100, but not at higher speeds? I'm wondering if Certo6 would ship a camera with this caveat, or was he unable to repair the compur shutter? Regards, Jstout

Shooter
    35mm
    Not my post but I would suspect the 5.41 measurement has the decimal moved so that the number is more relevant. I'm not sure what one might call that... perhaps milliseconds vs. seconds? In any case, 5.41 is most likely .0541 if you were making an apples to apples comparison and would indeed be approximately twice as fast as .1 seconds.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That shutter speed test doesn't look unusual to me for a very old CLA'd leaf shutter. As long as the speeds are consistent and you know how far they deviate from the marked speed you're in good shape.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is actually very good. With the exception of the fastest speed which is slow by just over 1/2 stop from the stated 1/500, all the rest are within about 1/3 stop and most much less than that. From everything I have read, the top speed on these old shutters was optimistic to begin with and in practice almost never achieved the stated value. But first let me interpret the numbers on that sheet - unfortunately Mr. Kreckel was using seconds for the slow speeds, then switched to milliseconds for the faster speeds, AND (as was suggested), he omitted a zero from some of the numbers in the middle. Argh! Anyway, the table below shows the theoretical and measured values for the numbers all written consistently in seconds. The last column with the differences converted to stops, is the most useful I think. In general, times within 1/3 stop are considered very good.

For what it is worth, another thing I noticed is that the last two times are actually closer to 1/200 second and 1/400 second respectively, as opposed to 1/250 and 1/500 (see the second table). If anything, I like that sequence better anyway! It makes for slightly more consistent factor-of-two shutter speed steps.

Name:	table1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	54401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	54402

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I misread the list of speeds. For example, the 1/2 millisecond number should have been printed as 445 ms, not .445, so I was confused by the sequence of numbers as they went down the "millisecond" list. My fault. I apologize for not thinking this through before asking the question. Going from decimal fractions of a second to actual milliseconds confused me. Yes, the shutter appears to work fine. Sorry for mistake, and it looks like a very nice camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks jstout, no problem.

Let's call it an even $300 (+shipping)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bump for price drop.

$290 + shipping

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is the rangefinder coupled?

Thanks

Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ray - no, the Record III has an uncoupled rangefinder. Although it is very accurate!
    Personally, I never missed having a coupled rangefinder while using this one. But of course everyone has different wants and needs when it comes to their cameras.

Also, for anyone not familiar with the Agfa Record III, it is just about the thinnest, lightest, and most compact way of getting a big 6x9 format image that you can find. The sleek styling and the very sharp Solinar lens (Agfa's top of the line) are other features which I always found attractive about this particular model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin