Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,665   Online: 1241

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FS: Olympus XA4 brand new in the box

I suppose there is a possibility this is the only one of these anywhere. I'll admit I've wondered. Many years ago I worked in an office building which had a camera store downstairs. This XA4 sat in the display case where I watched it for a few weeks. Realizing no more of these would be made and there would be no more sale prices or promotions of this model, I bought it. The old fellow who owned the store insisted on installing new batteries for me and to my knowledge that is the only thing that was ever done. I removed them when I got home and never ran a single roll of film through this camera. The box is in very good condition except for a place where it looks like the corner of another box nicked it (you can see that in the first image below). The camera as I've said is new. The warranty card and paperwork are here. Many times I've heard people say "if only I could go back in time and buy a brand new XA4, I'd do it." Well, here is probably the only chance you'll ever get. I'll sell it for $325 plus the cost of insured and tracked shipping. No PayPal on this. If you're in another country, you need to contact me to see what we can work out. You can see the price when I bought it. If you have questions, please direct them to jon_goodman@yahoo.com

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xa4 box.jpg   xa4 in styrofoam.jpg   xa4 back.JPG   xa4 open.JPG   xa4 film door.jpg  

xa4 price.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow...

Gotta' admit I never thought I'd see another one of these as brand new. I have an original XA myself. Original owner, am I, and I love it.

What a rare treat. Some additional details here and here, if anyone's interested. If I hadn't already just purchased another brand new camera I might have jumped at this guy myself.

Good luck with the sale.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I imagine the XA4 is extremely rare, in flawless presentation perhaps down to 1 in 5 \worldwide; this being NIB makes it even rarer. It looks beautiful. Reminds me of a sudden power surge I had when I happened across a NIB, mint XA. Pounced on it without hesitation (warranty expired in April 1985...). And this camera has DX??
    Let's all hope you sell it to a film user who truly appreciates these wonderful little cameras that really blazed a trail back in the 1980s. I'm never going to part with mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes it does have DX, and also the manual explains that the carry strap functions as a measuring device for the macro capability of the camera. If you look at the XA4, you'll quickly see the slide on the side is different than the XA, XA2 or XA3. It is a foot measure scale. The camera will focus at 1 foot, 1.7 feet, 2.3 feet and up to infinity at the top. The XA4 wasn't sold in quite the numbers the XA and XA2 was. The XA3 also has DX, by the way. I picked up an XA2 after they first came out and it instantly became a favorite of my wife. Actually only one other camera became so popular with her so rapidly...a Chinon Genesis I bought after the XA2 was stolen from our hotel room. She still uses that camera today.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon, you are selling some really nice stuff! If my wife wouldn't kill me, I would buy this. But, since I installed your outstanding reseal kit on my old Olympus XA it has been working like a champ! Best of luck with the sale.

Kent

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Kent! You should have seen how my wife reacted when I brought the XA4 home all those years ago. In fact, just seeing the box again this morning caused the temperature to drop by about 10 degrees in here. Oh well, a little controversy, strife, disagreement and threat of murder might be good for a relationship for all I know.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought one of these for £0.50 ($0.78) at an outdoor sale a few years ago. Mine didn't have the original box though!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish I could have bought this one for 78 cents, Steve. Of course if I bought it at an outdoor sale in Texas, it might be a melted blob. I think we're trying to corner the market on global warming.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Jon. Can't get your brand new XA4 off my mind...

For anyone thinking about purchasing this beauty, check out John Agoncillo's XA4 gallery to see what can be done on the street with these cameras and zone focusing. (Keep clicking Next Page at the top, most are single images, but some pages multi-photo mini-essays.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Ken, I understand entirely. It happens to me also...thoughts get stuck in the sludge pit I call my brain and they just won't leave. Thanks for the link...very interesting and some terrific work he's done with the XA4. Especially the out of focus areas in some of those photos. You wouldn't expect to be able to produce work like that from this camera, would you?

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin