Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,829   Online: 1196

Shooter
    35mm

FS: The Perfect Screwmount Camera

Is this Revueflex AC-1 really the perfect screwmount camera? Some people think so. This is is the German branded (and no, I'm not going to talk about Mr. H today) Chinon CE3 sold as I recall by FotoQuelle. It was also branded as other cameras including an Alpa model. Why would anyone say it might be the perfect screwmount camera? Well, it is smaller and slightly lighter than the notable CE-II Memotron (which has been known to fracture breastbones of people who broke into a jog while carrying it around their neck), it has one of the most sophisticated metering designs ever incorporated into a screwmount camera, it uses common and easily obtainable batteries, the AC-1 model used the split-dot focus screen (whereas the CE3 may or may not have had this), it allows you to choose film speeds up to 3200, the camera has a built-in viewfinder blind, it works in auto or manual mode, and it has a nice large and brighter than most viewfinder. The meter works logically in either manual or auto mode and is the needle/shutter speed type. The shutter is metal leaf (Copal) and there is a tiny green led to let you know you're in Auto mode on the side of the viewfinder. The main benefit is this camera allows you to use any auto-aperture screwmount lens in an open aperture mode. That's right. In auto mode, you simply choose your aperture, focus with the lens wide open and press the shutter release. In the split second between the time you've released the shutter, the camera reads the exposure and adjusts the stepless shutter correctly using pixie dust and magic and smoke from banana cigarettes and then fires the shutter at that speed.

So what can I tell you about this one? It has been used well. I bought from a friend in Finland many years ago. He lost the motor drive cover and fashioned a piece of black tape to cover it. I never found a motor drive nor a cover, so I left it there. It has brassing on the edges (and pretty much everywhere else), there is a little ding on the top of the pentaprism or two, and there are scratches, chips, etc scattered everywhere. As I said, it has been used. The focus screen is clean. The meter seems to still be fine. There is a little device my Finn friend engineered in the battery compartment. Evidently this model had a swing-away contact which broke soon after the warranty expired. He used an odd looking piece of metal to solve this, and it works fine. Not a problem...how often do you change batteries, anyway? This one has the Chinon Tomiok 55mm / 1.4 lens...which I always considered to be a decent one, particularly open or stopped down to about 2. Glass is good...minor mark or two, but very smooth action. The camera will be re-sealed for the new owner after it sells and before it is mailed. Everything still seems to still be working fine. And I will tell you I have taken some excellent pictures using this camera.

$30 plus the actual cost of shipping. I'll send it anywhere. If questions, please send them to jon_goodman@yahoo.com

PayPal ok for international buyers, Check/Cash/Money Order for buyers in the USA, please.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revueflex front.JPG   Revueflex back.JPG   Revueflex bottom.JPG   Revueflex lens.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hereby nominate Jon for APUG salesman of the year
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll take it, Jon. I'm off to bed now, I'll send paypal payment to you in the morning. Kindly PM me shipping cost to Malaysia via USPS Priority and/or USPS First Class.

Shooter
    35mm
    nice to see some Malaysians in APUG!
    Apa Khabar Altair!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks...please let me see what the USPS wants for shipping!
    Best regards,
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the early 1970's I was the Marketing Manager for Argus in the US and we introduced this camera under the Argus-Cosina brand. It was made by Cosina in Japan and sold in the USA and Canada as the top-of-the-line model. I sat with Jason Schneider, then of Modern Photography, and demonstrated the camera to him, hoping to get a favorable review in the Magazine. Jason borrowed the camera with the 55mm f/1.4 lens and promised to discuss its unique features with Herbert Keppler, the Editor-in-Chief, at that time. As I recall, the favorable review never appeared and my sample camera never re-surfaced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok Jon, looking forward to that shipping quote. I should be able to pay you soon.

3RiC: Khabar baik! (:

Karl K: Haha, thanks for sharing your story. I think it means that Jason really liked the camera for him to keep it (:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera received in good order. Buying from Jon has been one of my most pleasant purchase experiences on APUG to date. Thanks very much sir!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy the camera.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a salesman like that, he could probably sell a broken camera and someone talk it back to working
    --------------------------------

APS, 35mm, 120, 4x5 and a Deardorff & Sons 4x5 Special under restoration.

I don't care the format, as long as it's film!

Flickr Pages - Here

Blogs - Here and Here

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin