Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,778   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FS: Nikita's Kiev 4

Really? Is this really Nikita Khrushchev's Kiev 4?
    You know I think it may be. You may not know it, but a Kiev 4 just like this one (and maybe it was this one) entered into an important USSR/USA negotiation. You may remember it from the news reports. Around 1960, the phone rang in the Oval Office and....

Nikita: Privyet, Ike. How's it hanging, kiddo?
    Ike: Nik? Is that you, dedushka? How are things over in Vodkaville, baby?
    Nikita: Vell, Ike, the things they are pretty eentresting. Maybe you heard we shoot down your boy...the Gary Powers.
    Ike: Um, Gary Powers is over there with you? What is this about, Nik?
    Nikita: Vell it seems he was spy peeping in our windows, so pow, pow we shoot down his little plane.
    Ike: (off camera...somebody get me a drink real quick here)...So, Nik, what can we do?
    Nikita: Vell usually in situations like this ve trade something, you know?
    Ike: Oh sure, I see. Okay I trade Richard Nixon for Gary Powers.
    Nikita: I don't think so, but nice try.
    Ike: Mississippi?
    Nikita: You're getting colder.
    Ike: Oh, wait...we have a fellow over in Berlin named Vilyam Fisher...maybe you know him as Rudolf Abel? We trade him for Gary Powers.
    Nikita: You have to do a little better, but you're getting warmer.
    Ike: Ok we throw in Boris and Natasha.
    Nikita: You keep Boris, we get Natasha and we give you back Moose and Squirrel.
    Ike: You have Moose and Squirrel too?
    Nikita: They were in the plane with Gary. I think Squirrel was flying.
    Ike: I want a Kiev 4 also.
    Nikita: Hmm, well ok but only if you also take Eduard Khill.
    Ike: Eduard Khill? Is he another American spy?
    Nikita: We are not sure. Maybe he is a spy, but we don't care. We want him to go to America.
    Ike: Really? Why?
    Nikita: Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orMXD_Ijbs
    Ike: Oh, boy. Gosh. Seriously? Maybe I need an extra lens for that Kiev.
    Nikita: Ok, and I need tickets to Disneyland.
    Ike: I will have to call Walt.
    Nikita: Ok, you get back to me tomorrow.
    Click...

See? Your own little window into international political intrigue. Here at the root of all this was Nik's Kiev 4. The lynchpin in a spy trade. And you can own it now...this piece of history.

What can I tell you about it? Well, it is in nice condition. It has been used and it shows some bright marks on the front (from the case). The bottom plate is not damaged, the shutter works (even at the low speeds) and sounds ok. The rangefinder patch is good. The meter is active. Is it accurate? Oh yes, very accurate...and remember I'm the guy telling you this is Nikita's camera. Kidding aside, I don't know if it is accurate, but it isn't dead. The cover was replaced with some nice cranberry colored ostrich type leather. Just what Nik would have liked. Serial number 7716665. Lens is Jupiter 8M and in very good condition with good coating and good operation. Matching year code (7732594). Included is a 53mm/1.8 Helios (very clear/clean) #8222373. Comes also with the leather carrying case and strap. So, treat yourself to a piece of history...or maybe just another tall tale from Texas, but at least consider this camera. You'll be able to take some fine back-to-school pics with it. If questions, please write me at jon_goodman@yahoo.com

$85 plus actual cost of shipping.

PayPal ok for international, but check/cash/money order for USA buyers, please.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kiev bottom.JPG   Kiev back2.jpg   Kiev front2.jpg   Kiev case.JPG   Kiev lens.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will hand over the camera and I will release Moose and Squirrel, or We Will Bury You!

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I send you non-working XA2 instead? Moose and Squirrel not much in demand today, sadly.

On another sad and serious note, my sincere apologies to the family of Mr. Khil. I searched the internet this morning out of curiosity to see what Mr. Khil was doing these days. I did not realize he had very recently died from a stroke. He was actually an excellent and popular singer and from what I had read about him in the past, he was a fine man who was devoted to his family and his wife. The song "Trololo" became an internet favorite after somebody found old film of him singing it on a Dutch variety show in the 70s and posted it on YouTube. It was originally about a cowboy and his journey home to see his girlfriend, but as the story goes the lyrics were either banned by Soviet censors (cold war stuff) or omitted by Khil after he decided the lyrics were silly.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I almost forgot...Also included with this camera will be the original 35mm plastic film cassette. These are not easy to find anymore, but they are useful and this one is in good shape. Naturally this cassette can be used with any other 35mm camera.
    Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now if it only came with some shoe marks, we'd know it was Nikita's.

Shooter
    35mm
    The shoe marks are the reason the original camera covering was replaced.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jon, if there is film from Nikita in this camera, I want you to remove it. No one, and I can assure you of this, wants to see nekkid pics of Marusia.

Do you have any of Stalin's or Dzerzhisky's camera gear?

also, I've heard Tailgunner Joe was into Contaxes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Patina, man, patina! (I've been watching too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow and Pawn Stars).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Patina, man, patina! (I've been watching too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow and Pawn Stars).
    You should watch something else, lest your brain liquefy and run out your ears. One episode is too much.... especially the Avarice Roadshow.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Roadshow" really isn't my cup of tea, but maybe you could take one of my cameras there and be told that it is worth "um, oh I think if this camera was to show up at an auction, I expect it would fetch roughly 37 zillion dollars."

Um, well now that you ask, I have what I think is the late great Yuri Garagin's Zenit 3M. I have heard he wanted to carry it with him on Vostok 1, but they said it was too heavy and would hamper re-entry. You should keep watching for it...
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin