Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,757   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FS: Olympus XA - used by The Beach Boys?

I'm sure if The Beach Boys owned an XA, it would have been pretty much like this one. Was this their camera? It could have been, but it also could have been used by a rival group named "The Zombies." So take your pick. I'm fairly sure it was one of the two.
    This XA is very nice...shows what I'd call average wear and works well. Somebody removed the black paint from the battery cover. I never knew why but suspected it may have been a ritual of some sort and left it alone. This camera is clean and has been re-sealed...just today in fact. Rangefinder is adjusted correctly, strap is present but shows a slight place where it appears something burned it. Maybe one of the members of The Beach Boys was experimenting with cigarettes? Doesn't have any adverse effect, but it is there. $45 plus the actual cost of postage.

PayPal ok for international, check, cash or money order for USA buyers, please.

Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Forgot to include the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xafront.JPG   xaback.JPG   xabottom.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That looks like the very same one Jan & Dean used!

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Jan backed the car over theirs trying to locate "Dead Man's Curve." Didn't both those fellows die at a not-too-old age?
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't it be nice...

(and yeah, i think Jan was severely injured in an eerily similar scenario to Dead Man's Curve)
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey! Way back in the day I once worked at Disneyland when Jan & Dean performed on the quaint little Plaza Pavilion stage. Even spoke with them between shows. (True story.)

I'm almost certain I remember seeing them using this camera! (Veracity is left as an excercise for the student.)

Ken

[Edit: Yes, Jan Berry in 1966, I believe. Serious head injuries. The intimate Disneyland performance in the mid-70s was, IIRC, an "off-Broadway" tune-up for their eventual return to live performances. The out-of-the-way place was so packed with Park employees that none of the guests could even get close. 7000+ employees mysteriously all took their lunch breaks at the same time...

And I swear I saw this camera that night!]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-16-2012 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it were used by the Beach Boys, they could have sung, "She's real great, my 2.8"...

Myself, I think it was owned by one of The Ventures. But what do I know?

Doesn't look like there's any sand it...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the summer of 73 I met the Beach Boys and talked with them in a casual setting for about 15 or 20 minutes. Brian Wilson wasn't traveling with them at that time as I recall. Al Jardine and Carl Wilson were polite and friendly and impressed me as being very observant.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'll take that please -- pm sen t

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    In the summer of 73 I met the Beach Boys and talked with them in a casual setting for about 15 or 20 minutes. Brian Wilson wasn't traveling with them at that time as I recall. Al Jardine and Carl Wilson were polite and friendly and impressed me as being very observant.
    Jon
    So you have inside info on this camera, then...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin