Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,382   Online: 768

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FS: Conley Model V (4x5 Pocket Folding Camera)

From the estate of a local collector comes a lovely 4x5 Conley folding plate camera Model V from about 1907 or so. I've also seen one that looked much like it in an old Conley catalog, described as the "Queen City Pocket Camera No. 6". In case with three double-sided plate holders, copyright dated 1907. The camera and holders are in excellent condition and quite beautiful with shiny, piano-finished Honduran mahogany and brass and nickle-plated hardware. The same model (except for the handle on top of the camera) is described in the 1908 Sears catalog (which sold it as the Conley Pocket Folding Camera). Folded up the camera measures 5 3/16" x 6 1/4" x 2 1/16" thick. It's very lightweight, weighing only 1 1/4 lbs; the entire kit with camera, case and three plate holders is only 2 1/4 lbs! the lens is described as a "single anastigmat", and the shutter is a Wollensak Junior. It's air-operated but I don't have a bulb to try it with, so I don't know whether it works or not. the aperture works smoothly and the blades open and close cleanly.

The only flaws I can see in the camera are a crack about 1" in length running downward from the top of the ground glass, the hinge on the ground glass cover is deteriorating on the inside of the cover, the little hole where you're supposed to insert a fingernail to pull the ground glass cover off is worn, and the thin lather handle on top of the case is torn. Other than that, the leather covering is intact, the bellows are supple and light-tight, and the metal parts are brightly polished. The plate holders look almost unused. This is truly a beautiful camera in unusually good condition.

The price is $100 plus shipping. I take Paypal or USPS money orders (United States Postal Service ONLY!) I'm happy to provide more photos or answer questions. Thanks for looking!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010002.JPG   P1010003.JPG   P1010007.JPG   P1010010.JPG   P1010012.JPG  

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The aperture range is f.16-256? What lens and shutter is it, and how is the images it produces?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    The aperture range is f.16-256? What lens and shutter is it, and how is the images it produces?
    The lens is described in the 1908 Sears catalog as a "single anastigmat" made from "imported glass". Since the aperture is in front of the lens, I'm going to guess that it's a pretty simple design, perhaps even only one element, but I don't really know. The aperture is not f/15-256 but the old US system which was in use here before the more modern system was adopted. If I recall correctly, f/16 and US.16 are the same; US.256 is f/64.

Since this is a dry plate camera and I don't have any plates, I've never used it to take a photo. It came from the estate of a local collector and likely hasn't been used in many years. I suppose that you could coat your own plates or perhaps try it with tintypes if you wish.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i love these guys, I'll take it. I'll send you a PM
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin