Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,287   Online: 1221

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Seems to me that in my other hobby (audio equipment) it is common for a seller to say "$30 plus 3% paypal fee." By doing that, the seller is saying that he/she's willing to accept payment via paypal to facilitate rapid receipt of the item by the buyer, rather than asking for a check or money order. Admittedly getting paid via Paypal also benefits the seller, and of course a prospective buyer has the option of not buying the item (as has happened here). But if the seller is up front that he/she expects the seller to cover the fee, I don't see anything wrong with that, as the seller can always vote with his feet. As for the gift option, that does seem to be using the paypal system without paypal making anything for having provided the service -- and that said, I've never understood why paypal had a gift option in the first place

Shooter
    35mm
    If it makes everyone happy I will no longer be accepting gift for any sales over Apug.

Please note however that using gift is a common on sites such as fredmiranda and getdpi so I'm not the only one doing this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it's widely done. And I just want to make it clear, I was expressing my own objection, not speaking for others.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As others have said, accepting Paypal as gift for sale of goods is fraud. It is dishonest and dishonorable.
    Saying up front that you expect the buyer to pay the Paypal fee is contrary to Paypal terms of service
    It also basically tells me (a potential customer) that you (the seller) really just want to extract as much
    profit from the sale as possible and that doesn't really make me feel to good about buying and it is contrary to the spirit of community.

Finally, just because it is common practice, does not make it right. yes, lots of people seem to think that it is ok to cheat but, I do not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just because PayPal doesn't earn a commission on a transfer, doesn't mean they don't make money on the transfer. Have you seen how long cash in an account sits, even after attempting to withdraw it? Thirty bucks may not seem like much, but imagine how that adds up when there are over 100M users. If the average account has say, $5, that's 5M earned annually in interest alone, at only 1%.

PayPal has a "gift" option along with a "personal" payment option which can be used for trusting parties to exchange funds without the need for their buyer protection service. If one wants to send and receive money using either of these options, I imagine they're welcome to do so all day long. But then I haven't read PayPal's 4000 word terms of service agreement, and I have a sneaking suspicion nobody else that's posted in this thread has either.
    Last edited by eurekaiv; 09-14-2012 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    200/4 = Sold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still want that 105mm :-)
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    Just because PayPal doesn't earn a commission on a transfer, doesn't mean they don't make money on the transfer. Have you seen how long cash in an account sits, even after attempting to withdraw it? Thirty bucks may not seem like much, but imagine how that adds up when there are over 100M users. If the average account has say, $5, that's 5M earned annually in interest alone, at only 1%.
    So what you are saying, if I understand correctly, is that since Paypal earns interest on the funds it holds on accounts, it is ok to cheat and to not pay the fee that you as a user agreed to? What about the electric company? Do you pay your electric bill? or, do you cheat the electric company out of its service too?

PayPal has a "gift" option along with a "personal" payment option which can be used for trusting parties to exchange funds without the need for their buyer protection service. If one wants to send and receive money using either of these options, I imagine they're welcome to do so all day long. But then I haven't read PayPal's 4000 word terms of service agreement, and I have a sneaking suspicion nobody else that's posted in this thread has either.
    No, this is just plain incorrect. using "Paypal as a gift" to pay for or receive payment for goods is very plainly against the rules and a blatant violation of the terms of service. Read them and you will see.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    So what you are saying, if I understand correctly, is that since Paypal earns interest on the funds it holds on accounts, it is ok to cheat and to not pay the fee that you as a user agreed to? What about the electric company? Do you pay your electric bill? or, do you cheat the electric company out of its service too?
    Perhaps I'm a moron, but I don't see where I said it was ok to "cheat" and not pay a fee. Hmmm... perhaps if I start removing letters from my sentences you can start to see where I might have actually said that.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    No, this is just plain incorrect. using "Paypal as a gift" to pay for or receive payment for goods is very plainly against the rules and a blatant violation of the terms of service. Read them and you will see.
    You keep saying "gift" but the last time I checked, "gift" was not the only option for sending a payment without fees. Either way, no matter how much morality mud you want to sling around, I'll still gladly continue to send personal payments to those I know and trust, and you can simply choose to judge me how you see fit.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    From the Buy/Sell Rules sticky:

"Persons not interested in a particular transaction are asked to refrain from interfering with classified sales by commenting unnecessarily. If you believe that an ad violates the rules, please use the "report thread" button (the triangle with the exclamation mark) to notify the moderators. Do not comment in the thread. If you believe that an item is overpriced, then that is a matter for the seller to figure out when it doesn't sell."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin