Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,043   Online: 1215

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon 28mm f2.0 (believe to be AI)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is Ai, it has the cut outs in the "rabbit's ears"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It is Ai, it has the cut outs in the "rabbit's ears"
    Those holes in the coupling prong mean nothing, because prongs can be swapped from lens to lens. It's the step milled in the aperture ring that makes it Ai or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Those holes in the coupling prong mean nothing, because prongs can be swapped from lens to lens. It's the step milled in the aperture ring that makes it Ai or not.
    You are right , but the cut outs only came out with the advent of auto indexing in Nikkors, and the lens looks to be a safe bet because it looks to be one of the newer types and of the right vintage, when Nikon modified the old lenses to Ai they changed the "rabbit ears" to the ones with cut outs, and I can't see anybody bothering to change it otherwise, I would buy this lens without hesitation.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It works fine on my D90 which cannot take anything older than AI anyway.
    It's a great lens, I'm selling along with the 85mm to buy myself an ultrawide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    You are right , but the cut outs only came out with the advent of auto indexing in Nikkors, and the lens looks to be a safe bet because it looks to be one of the newer types and of the right vintage, when Nikon modified the old lenses to Ai they changed the "rabbit ears" to the ones with cut outs, and I can't see anybody bothering to change it otherwise, I would buy this lens without hesitation.
    Safe bet? The notch in the aperture ring as well as the extra scale of aperture numbers on the ring are clearly shown in the photos.....and I have a pre Ai (and unmodified) 20/3.5 Nikkor UD with a perforated coupling prong, so they did make their way onto the "wrong" lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have this same lens. It is a great performer and handles very well. Another sure way to tell this lens apart is the serial number. Also the Ai lenses have a slightly coned focusing barrel. The AIS version is just a straight cylinder, pre-ai has the scalloped barrel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It has a slightly coned focusing barrel and the serial number is 564846

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A better source for information than Ken R. - http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/28mmf2.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin