Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,891   Online: 973

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know it did work on my D90 and I mounted 3 times and it worked every time. I had to set mt D90 on the M mode but everything work OK as you can see in my pictures. I'm don't really want to put that lens back on my camera until I can further information, but I know I had no problem with it and that I was able to use other lens included a 50D and a few VR without any issue afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Nikon FM2n and an FE2 and non-Ai lenses CAN NOT be mounted to these two cameras. I don't know about the F3 or F4, but I believe that the FM, being sort of a transition camera between the two lens designs, provided for the Ai prong on the camera body to be folded down to accommodate the non-Ai lenses.

In any event, I had one of these lenses, probably a few years older and a .c lens (early multi-coating) and it was an excellent lens. Good luck with your sale and there enough people out there shooting older Nikon's, that there should be some interest in your lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    I have a Nikon FM2n and an FE2 and non-Ai lenses CAN NOT be mounted to these two cameras. I don't know about the F3 or F4, but I believe that the FM, being sort of a transition camera between the two lens designs, provided for the Ai prong on the camera body to be folded down to accommodate the non-Ai lenses.

In any event, I had one of these lenses, probably a few years older and a .c lens (early multi-coating) and it was an excellent lens. Good luck with your sale and there enough people out there shooting older Nikon's, that there should be some interest in your lens.
    I'd grab it to use on my F and Nikkormat, if the budget allowed. This lens has been on my want list...... along with a 28/2 non-Ai.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For sure it does mount on my D90, is what I'm doing "garanteed" by Nikon, probably not, but it does work.

E. van Hoegh, I do have a Nikon 28/2 AI for sale as well, I could make you a deal if you are interested in the 2, just PM me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I was able to mount it to my D90, couldn't that lens be AI converted?

Anyway, it's still for sale! Can give a discount if you by my other lens as well: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...elieve-ai.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post

Correct. The bodies that a non-AI lens can be used on, other than non-AI bodies are:

F2A
    F2AS
    FE
    FM
    F3
    and F4.

The F5 and F6 can be modified, provided parts are still in inventory @ the Nikon repair facilities, to have the metal coupling ring with flip-up tab. The lower end off-topic Nikon SLR's, like the D40/D40x, D60, D3000/3100/3200, and 5000/5100 can also use non-AI Nikkors.

The K-series non-AI Nikkors do have a slightly thinner aperture ring, so they're less likely to damage the minimum aperture sensing pin on a D90 than the earlier versions. It still can happen.

I've had three of these lenses, so far. All of them with the factory AI rings, so they could be used on my newer Nikon bodies. Have had two single coated H versions, and one K version that was well-worn.

Anyway, to the original poster, GLWS.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikon modifies the F5 and F6 to take them on request. Yes, I'm sure...I had an F6 done.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade1941 View Post
    This is not correct you CANNOT use an NON AI lens on a NIKON FA , or most other Nikon Cameras made after 1977. The exceptions to that rule are the Nikon FM, FM2, FM2N, F3, and F4 Those cameras have a special button that allows the AI coupler to fold up out of the way. mounting NON AI lenses on cameras without this functionality risks breaking off the AI coupler on the camera. I have seen it done with both results, the coupler being broken off and the the lens mounting. In neither case does the lens couple and meter. There is nothing there for it to couple and meter to. Additionally on the cameras that have the ability to accommodate the NON AI lenses that I mentioned you have to use the stop down feature to meter the scene before shooting.

The reason NON AI lenses work on the D40 and D60 is because those DSLR cameras do not have the AF Motor and do not have the AI Coupler.

I own a Nikon FA and would not mount an unmodified NON AI lens on it, furthermore the Nikon FA owners manual specifically mentions by model certain NON AI lenses that should not be used even if they have been modified to AI or AI S configuration.

This is directly from the Nikon FA Manual concerning NON AI Lenses.
    --------------------------------------------
    Tri-X & Rodinal, a beautiful thing.
    Leica, Contax & Nikon Shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apologies if I missed a message with this info. From the Ken Rockwell site a link

http://www.aiconversions.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make me an offer that's acceptable, and the lens is yours!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PM sent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin