Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,233   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is this lens cut for AI, or AI converted?

If so, and it's still around when I get my paycheck next week, expect a PM
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be like a AI, it works fine on my D90 which cannot take Pre-AI.
    If you need more pictures let me know.

It looks like the link from Ken's website except there is that last ring with the aperture number.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gents that lens is not AI that is clear from the photographs. There is no ADR scale and it does not have the cut outs. Also the serial number will tell you if it is AI or not. Not being AI does not mean it will not mount on your D90 , it means that you stand a chance of breaking your D90, I have seen people do it before. I have looked at these photos several times now and I do not see the AI relief cuts in the ring. This appears to be a late production NON AI lens probably 1975 or 1976

Shooter
    35mm
    Not that it matters much, but that doesn't appear to be AI converted to me. In the pic below you can see a non-ai on the left, AI on the right. Yours looks exactly like the non-ai.

Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry about that then, my lens is like the non-ai from your picture Eurekaiv.

My lens is this one: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...eAI70/85mm.htm, so it's a pre-ai (or non-ai), and it should need a conversation to work great on my D90. It should be working fine with F2 and so on as described here: http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm
    Last edited by yaeldefaye; 10-05-2012 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yaeldefaye View Post
    Sorry about that then, my lens is like the non-ai from your picture Eurekaiv.

Though the back mount has 5 screws in it and everything else that would suggest it's a AI. See this website: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html but I don't have a ridge on it described in #4 on that site.

When mounting it to my D90, the aperture ring is a bit harder (still very easy to turn) to turn cause it's closer to the camera. Off-camera that ring works fine.

What does it mean in terms of compatibility?
    Basically, it won't properly couple with anything made later than about 1976 or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I have read a few thinks online of people with micro 4/3rd using a nikon adapter and putting that lens on it without any problem. I know adapter are different than camera but it could be a great way to use that lens.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Basically, it won't properly couple with anything made later than about 1976 or so.
    Not true, it will couple and meter with an FA, F4, modified F5 and an F6 as for coupling with a D90 I have my doubts that would happen without breaking the AI tab on the body.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Not true, it will couple and meter with an FA, F4, modified F5 and an F6 as for coupling with a D90 I have my doubts that would happen without breaking the AI tab on the body.

This is not correct you CANNOT use an NON AI lens on a NIKON FA , or most other Nikon Cameras made after 1977. The exceptions to that rule are the Nikon FM, FM2, FM2N, F3, and F4 Those cameras have a special button that allows the AI coupler to fold up out of the way. mounting NON AI lenses on cameras without this functionality risks breaking off the AI coupler on the camera. I have seen it done with both results, the coupler being broken off and the the lens mounting. In neither case does the lens couple and meter. There is nothing there for it to couple and meter to. Additionally on the cameras that have the ability to accommodate the NON AI lenses that I mentioned you have to use the stop down feature to meter the scene before shooting.

The reason NON AI lenses work on the D40 and D60 is because those DSLR cameras do not have the AF Motor and do not have the AI Coupler.

I own a Nikon FA and would not mount an unmodified NON AI lens on it, furthermore the Nikon FA owners manual specifically mentions by model certain NON AI lenses that should not be used even if they have been modified to AI or AI S configuration.

This is directly from the Nikon FA Manual concerning NON AI Lenses.

Do notattempt to mount older Nikkor lenses which have not been
    Al-modified, as they might damage the camera. For further
    information concerning lens modification, please contact
    your local authorized Nlkon dealer
    • The following lenses cannot be used on the FA even if they
    are modified to have the Al facility:
    55mm f/1.2 (No. 184711-970110)
    28mm f/3.5 (No. 625611-999999)

35mm U14 (No. 385001-400000)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin