Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,062   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FS French made 9"-ish f4 Fench Made Petzval

This is an amazing 9" -ish F4 French Made Petzval Lens. The glass has to be the most clear glass I have ever seen in a petzval. No separation, no fungus, no scratches. It may have a few air bubbles but what glass did not during these times?

It was made in France for Philaldelphia company Williams Brown and Earle. From my research, they were an optical company specializing in magic lanterns etc, but also sold camera lenses, meteorological and scientific instruments. There was one lead that said some of their petzval lenses were sourced via Hermagis. Either way, this could be a Hermagis, Darlot, or any of the French brands.

I have made many wet plate images with this lens, and it covers whole plate at portrait distances, and 5x7 at infinity. This is a sweet lens, and if I did not have a new to me Darlot Cone Centralisatuer lens in approximately the same focal length, I would not be getting rid of it.

It comes with a convertible flange. There is a collar that fits this lens, and then fits into a main flange with screw holes. This means, that this was meant for a lantern that had multiple focal length capability.

At any rate, the brass is pristine, and the rack and pinion works VERY well with no hang ups, or sticking indicating a missing tooth on any of the gearing. ALL screws to the R&P are also still in place. The lens barrel itself is nickel plated. The nickel is in good shape, yet there is some loss of sheen on the area that was exposed prior to me getting it. The rest is like a mirror. The lenses are in great shape, and it has the cemented pair up front and the two air spaced lenses at the back. There are some pencil markings on there that look like the numbers 667 written on the edge, but none indicating the exact French comapny that made it unfortunately. I did not include those pictues but could if anyone needs them?
    The lens hood is VERY clean, free from ANY dents, and has ALL the black paint on the inside.

Images are shot with my cell phone using my indoors wet plate UB light kit and these UV bulbs are visible in some of the images.

I would like $375 for this lens. I would prefer it stays in the US, and do except paypal or money orders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French Petzval1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	58433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French Petzval3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	58434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French Petzval5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	58435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French Petzval6.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	58436
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 10-14-2012 at 10:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bump... And price reduction.... How about $325 plus shipping??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bump... and price reduction how about $300 shipped in the US?. I would need shipping covered if it goes outside the country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Damn!
    I need new glasses. I thought this was for a French Maid!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last bump before Evil bay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay last try... Reduced to $275 shipped in US... If international buyer wants it, they assume all risk, and cover shipping costs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not had much time for anything so I'll bump again and lower to $250 shipped in the US... Am i gonna be the first to lose my ass on a French petzval? Especially one this nice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lemme ask some people if you can hold a few days
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sold pending payment via PM to me.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the pending payment fails, please send me a PM, I will take it. I am based in Europe though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin