Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,522   Online: 862

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

The Rarest of the Dagor Type Schneider G-Claron lenses. 270mm f9 covers 10X12++

People go wonky over the Golden or Gold Dot Dagor's. Especially the ones made during the "Schneider Kreuznach" era of Dagor production.

This lens has every bit of the legendary contrast, control, and coverage, at about 1/3 of the legendary price. Hey, if it makes you happy, mill a eighth inch depression on the front and put a dab of gold paint in it.

Glass on this one is lovely, but the single coating is a bit splotchy on the front element. No effect what-so-ever and this lens has proven to be extremely sharp and contrasty on 8X10 format.

Are you wishing for something that covers the same angle on 8X10 as your 135 does on 4X5? Moderately wide field with a TON of movements. Shutter works like new.

This'll just squeak around 11X14 but I don't know if I'd consider it usable on that format.
    $515.00 + shipping 2U
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth
    Hi Jim,
    I don't wish to hijack you sale post be Im curious about the 270 you have for sale. I have one of these, well I should say I have a G-claron 9/270 Serial Number14255912, and I thought going the spec sheets that the IC was only 335mm (8x10) are you saying this is wrong and it will cover a lot more?

Regards
    Shane
    YES. Your later G-Claron is a Plasmat and a very fine lens indeed. The Plasmat would cover 82 degrees and it will indeed cover the 11X14 format with zero movements. It covers 8X10 with vast movements possible.

Schneider's customer for these was the graphic arts industry. After 62 degrees graphic arts will begin to show enough wide angle distortion, ie. stretching, not degradation, that they aren't usable for that. So Schneider rated them at 62 degrees in their spec sheets. But they cover 82 degrees for general photo use and are sharp all the way to the last 4mm or so.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin