Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,917   Posts: 1,584,726   Online: 751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Voigtlander Avus 6x9 with 120 rollfilm holder

This is a nice piece of history. The shutter needs work if you want to use any speed other than 1/30 to 1/100 so I'm not expecting a boat load for this camera. It needs a CLR just for the shutter alone. However, that said, this is a very nice camera otherwise. If you're skilled like I was you can use this camera with the present shutter issue with no problems. I just have too much stuff in my tiny apartment and I need to get rid of at least 1/2 of my collections. I decided to let this camera go only because I have several other 6x9's and haven't returned to using this one in about a year. The roll film holder is worth a considerable amount. It has the manual/instructions inside the box and some masks so you can shoot in 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x9 format. And this takes 120 film not 620. So, therefore this camera is "modern" because you don't need to backroll on a 620 spool in order to shoot it.

The door on the ground glass is kind of hanging a little you have to be careful with it. If you are careful with it, then you can effectively use the camera the way it sits.

I'm asking $100 plus shipping for this camera. Maybe you can find a cheaper Avus in 6x9 but can you find the rollfilm back too? I've never seen one before mine. And haven't seen one since! I think that makes this worth more than $100 but if you think this is not such a great deal but you're interested in the camera then please make an offer! Offers will be considered!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0854.JPG  
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it definitely a 6x9, not 6.5x9? If it's the latter, my next post will say "PM sent". :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know how to answer you ntenny! Of course I'd like to sell this camera but I've never heard of a 6.5x9 camera. Ever! Sorry! I've only heard of this format in two formats, sheet film and 120/620 roll film. Are you talking about sheet film? If so I don't know how to answer because I don't have any sheet film or plate holders for this camera.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    6.5x9 is quarter plate, isn't it? Though I may be getting my plates mixed up.

ETA: And I am. It isn't. it's smaller. But since I've heard of it in plate cameras, it must have been a size that was made.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ahh, this is a quarter plate camera. And you can get film holders (or sheathes actually) for 6x9 but you can also get plate holders which might have a different size or dimension but the plates are "quarter plate" so, that's how I'll answer this question. It's a quarter plate camera with a 120 rollfilm adapter that allows you to shoot in traditional film 6x9 format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quarter-plate is 3 1/4" x 4 1/4", but the camera in the picture looks smaller than that (and I don't think Voigtlaender ever made plate cameras in inch sizes; their equivalent would have been 9x12). The lens is a 105mm, right?

6.5x9 used to be a fairly normal plate-camera size; I've got a Kodak Recomar in that size (which is why I'm interested in this particular detail; the backs are interchangeable between Kodak/Nagels and Voigtlaenders). The more I look, the more I think that's what it is, and the back (Rada, it looks like?) gives you 6x9 format on what's nominally a 6.5x9 camera.

Tell you what---can you measure the width of the flanges on the rollfilm back, and I'll compare measurements with my 6.5x9 back when I get home this evening? Sorry to be a pain, but it'll either fit or it won't...

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looks like you're right. I am just repeating what I was told. But now I did some research and see quarter plate has no relation to half or full in terms of the actual dimensions :o

I will be happy to measure this tonight and provide extra photos for you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Voigtlander Avus 6x9 with 120 rollfilm holder

Was that the 616 format?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    can you measure the width of the flanges on the rollfilm back
    The body of the camera seems to have an inside dimension between the grooves of the mating flange of 75mm.

The rollfilm back measures the same section on its outside at 75mm. It has a single groove down that "rail".

The lip on the body rail hangs over about 1.5 maybe 1.7 mm each side.

Interestingly those are measurements taken near the end where the light seal is. If I retake the measurements of the lip in the center of the body it is bigger. I'd say the lip is 2mm there and the entire dimension which is hard to do here with a measuring tape anyway, looks like 76 to 77mm but I don't think that's really important because it would be the ends that matter the most.

I hope that answers your question in a positive way!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds right. PM sent!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin