Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,390   Online: 672

Shooter
    Multi Format

FS: 210mm / 8-1/4" Goerz Kenro Process Dagor

Goerz Optical / Kenro
    f/6.8 Process Dagor, Coated, in Barrel
    $135 or best reasonable offer

Something not generally known is that Goerz made their Dagor lenses for use on graphic arts ("process") cameras, as well as for regular view cameras. This one was made for Kenro, who produced a line of these cameras for use in print shops and publishing houses. You don't see Process Dagors very often!

In addition to it being the renowned Dagor design, it was probably produced to slightly tighter standards than the regular Dagor lenses were because of the precision that's necessary in photo work for the printing trades.

The serial number would lead one to believe that this lens was produced in the 1930s, but I don't think that this is the case. I think that a different serial numbering system must have been used for this series of lenses because the barrel looks to be consistent with those produced later -- perhaps in the 1950s or 1960s -- and because the lens is coated. The coatings on the interior and exterior elements are of different color, which leads me to believe the coating was applied at the factory, as opposed to an aftermarket coating like Burke & James used to do.

I admit that this is conjecture on my part, but I've never seen a Dagor in a barrel like this one produced before the 1950s; I've only seen two other Process Dagors, and both were this focal length, black lacquered brass barrels like this one, and both were produced in the 1950s or 1960s, and looked identical to this one but with different markings.

In any event, on to the particulars: f-stops from f/6.8 to f/45. The glass is actually surprisingly clean and clear for its age and probable former use on a process camera. The front element surprises me in that it seems to have no cleaning marks. The rear element has one long very fine, curved scratch of the "cleaning mark" league, then one slightly thicker curved scratch about 1/2-centimeter long about 5mm in from the edge. Both are far from the optical axis and neither one should pose an optical problem. Believe me, I've shot with far worse than this with no ill effects, both in print shops and on view cameras.

I've been told that this lens will cover just about what a regular 8-1/4" Dagor will, maybe a little less. So you'll get mountains of movements on 5x7, and it'll possibly cover 8x10 straight on when stopped down.

It's not a big lens -- about 1-3/4" tall and about 2" wide at its widest spot. Sorry, I don't have a flange or retaining ring for it.

Weighs just over 5 ounces, so figure 1.5 pounds shipping weight from Zip Code 90027. Buyer pays shipping -- USPS or UPS in CONUS, USPS all others.

Please note: I ship as soon as PayPal payments clear to my bank account, which can take 3-4 business days. I'll email you as soon as I've shipped, with any available tracking information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goerz-Kenro-2.jpg   Goerz-Kenro-1.jpg   Goerz-Kenro-3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Note: As long as the threading is a normal size, a flange that would work shouldn't be too hard to find. If it isn't, there's always SK Grimes.

It does make me curious, though, as to whether or not it would fit into the same shutter the regular Dagor of this size would fit in...
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure about shutter size that you refer to. I've seen one of these front-mounted on an Alphax shutter; it just screwed right in.

One complication with this, which I didn't notice until now, is that I can't unscrew the front element from the barrel. The rear element comes off easily -- I don't know what the problem is, and I don't want to force it.

As I recall, I believe Dagors were originally available in Compound shutters, and another type as well that escapes me at the moment. But I don't believe that taking one from a barrel mount was a straight shot into the shutter -- I could be wrong on this....

I'd welcome any further detail on this!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It looks exactly like the one I have. The threads are an odd size and I havent had any luck finding a proper shutter for it. It does not 'screw right in' to the front of an alphax shutter without an custom adapter like from SK Grimes.
    -that is if it is like mine.

What is the diameter of the threads of the rear element when unscrewed?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like the rear element thread comes in at 41mm; the flange thread looks like 45mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The regular Dagor looks like it'll fit a Copal 1 from the factory, so if the cells are the same size it would follow that this could also be fitted to a Copal 1. However, if the actual threads are completely different, as it seems they are, it may not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.25dag.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	59879

SK Grimes image attached. This is a Gold Dot, though, which may mount to something different again. :/
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PRICE REDUCED: $120 or best reasonable offer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin