Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,431   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Leica llf Red Dial

I hesitate to use the description "mint" because it's so overused that most camera buyers, including me, are somewhat put off by its use.
    Ok, let's say "excellent ++", which means almost no signs of use.
    Everything works properly: rangefinder, shutter, film advance.
    No dents. No dings. No missing vulcanite.
    The take up spool is included.
    It's ready to shoot or take its rightful place in a Leica collection.
    Red Dial, Serial #611777, manufactured in 1952-1953.

$400 + $15 shipping
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 403_4.jpg   403_3.jpg   403_2.jpg   403_1.jpg  
    Last edited by Karl K; 11-19-2012 at 12:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh for the love of...

I hate the classified section right now. :P
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stephanie, please....what did I do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Stephanie, please....what did I do?
    I think you tempted her
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Things keep popping up that I want, or that I was looking at, or talking about, a few days ago. It's WEIRD. And tempting. Luckily I have no money for gear at the moment. Much easier not to be tempted in that situation. But, yeah, if I had $400 I'd buy this. I've always wanted one of these.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica llf Red Dial

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Oh for the love of...

I hate the classified section right now. :P
    I hear ya'!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a psychological problem with these really pristine cameras...I love them, but I can't bring myself to load them with film and go out on a shooting spree. I'm afraid to damage or mark them in any way. So they sit on a shelf. On the other hand, if I get a "user's" camera complete with battle scars, I fear no further evil can come.

Does this make any sense to anybody?
    I think it goes back to my early childhood, having had poor toilet training.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica llf Red Dial

I have a psychological problem with these really pristine cameras...I love them, but I can't bring myself to load them with film and go out on a shooting spree. I'm afraid to damage or mark them in any way. So they sit on a shelf. On the other hand, if I get a "user's" camera complete with battle scars, I fear no further evil can come.

Sure, makes perfect sense, but it comes down to which is valued more: future resale value or using the camera for its purpose. Of course a "user" grade camera should always work for the latter but sometimes pride and passion for a beautiful price of equipment and watching it gain its wear through the years (and knowing you put it there) has its joys (and encouragement) too. I bought my Leica MP used but in almost pristine condition. Just a small little scratch next to the flash shoe. That was about 5 years ago and at first I would barely bring myself to take it out and use it. Now the brassed edges and corners are starting to show through as is brassing on the film advance and rewind knob. It's wearing very nicely for me. :-)

I'd love to pick this beauty of yours up but have a nice user IIIA. It's shutter curtains seem to be dragging lately and I almost convinced myself this one would therefore be better! But then reminded myself that a simple CLA on the IIIA would be cheaper and get it working fine again. GAS averted, for now. Breath, breath deeply....
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 11-19-2012 at 12:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

I had this exact problem -- bought a mint IIIf RD, ST, and spent money to have it serviced, but never used it because it was, well, mint. After sitting for a long time it didn't work again, and then the service didn't quite do things right and so I let it sit and ended up having it serviced AGAIN, and realized that, well, shucks, I've spent as much as I could ever hope to get out of it on having it serviced and all it is is a paper weight.

So I slapped a lens and Abrahams rapidwinder on it and it's earning its keep. Great camera.

So, you have a tool, if you keep it mint, whatever you sell it for -- maybe $700? -- will be dwarfed by the joy you will get out of using it, and if you die without having used it then some relative you hate will get the money, or the camera, or some idiot at a yard sale will pay $10 for it.

So put film in it and use it as God and Oscar Barnack intended. One great shot of your children will pay for it in spades, and a brand new Leica, serviced and working as new, is a real joy to use.
    Last edited by summicron1; 11-19-2012 at 11:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I am the woman with a Speed Graphic and a Burke & James that I have to tape lens boards onto because I haven't yet fixed/replaced the metal slides. So, yes, I understand this. I tend to buy beaters because I don't really give a crap as long as they work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin