Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,994   Posts: 1,524,269   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Nikon FE?

Shooter
    35mm

FS: Nikon FE?

Huh? Nan Ru? Yeah, we'll get to her in a moment. Right now these garlic peanuts I'm eating have me wondering just how many people in this crowd have never had the pleasure of this sort of indulgence. You’ll find these nuts at the Asian supermarkets. Look for the Farmer Brand. Somebody in Bayonne, NJ is the distributor for the East and someone in Burlingame, CA is the distributor for Western America. The peanuts originate in China (where they are grown and processed), but a company in Singapore actually sells them. It strikes me this is an insanely circuitous route for something as simple and inexpensive as a peanut. There is a drawing of a grinning but sinister-looking Chinese man on the front of the sack (who looks a lot more like Larry Storch than a Chinese man come to think of it). He’s wearing some strange sandals and carrying a hoe over his shoulder and a bunch of peanuts in his other hand. If you like peanuts, I give them my unreserved stamp of approval. If you really want to relish the garlic flavor, eat the shells, too. That's right, just put the whole peanut (shell and all) in your mouth and eat it. Don't worry...I've done this all my life, and normally it won't hurt you. Or at least you should recover in time and with proper attention. They also have Nan Ru flavored peanuts. I’m not certain who Nan is, but the taste makes me think slightly of shoe polish, soap or a mixture of that and tomatoes roasted over smoldering tires, and I really can’t imagine what they might have soaked them in to get that flavor. A Chinese substitute for Ipecac, maybe? The peanuts are pink...I mean really pink. For all I know, Nan Ru in Chinese means “Slight Nuclear Energy Problem.” Disclaimer: If you search Farmer Brand Garlic Peanuts in Google, you may see further down on page 1 some warnings, but I’d just ignore them. They go back a few years, and it was probably just an upset competitor spreading gossip.

So by now you may have decided this probably wasn't Nan Ru's Nikon FE. But maybe it was. Anyway this FE is very nice. I've owned it for several years, but I haven't used it in a while. It does show average wear, especially on the bottom plate (scratches and bright marks). But that won't bother you, will it? Of course not. Here, have a few more peanuts. Remember, eat the whole thing and chew several times before you swallow. The camera has been resealed and everything seems to still be working just as it should (nice smooth film advance, fine meter, auto function works well, battery check light works and the shutter speeds seem fine). The lens is a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (not Series E), and is clear and in nice condition. There is a bit of "wiggle" in the focus ring, but it has always been that way and never bothered me nor the pictures, and Nan didn't seem to mind it either. In fact I never had any trouble with this camera, and I'm willing to bet you won't either. I'll include a lens cap. $75 plus actual postage...Cyber Monday special

PayPal ok for international sales but check/cash/money order for domestic sales please.

If questions, please ask.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon FE front.JPG   Nikon FE back.JPG   Nikon FE bottom.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What are the odds that you could hold this back for, oh, three weeks? :P
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I think I could manage to do that, Stephanie. I'll need to check with Nan, but I'll bet she can be talked into it. Especially if I shave and put on some Aramis.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had three of these over the years, and this one would be the fourth.

This was my second film camera. The first was a Minolta Maxxum QTsi. I bought that one new from K-Mart for something like $220 and regretted every second of it. My first FE cost me $75-ish and the 50mm f/1.4 with caps and case $125. I shot with that camera for two years before getting bit with the rangefinder bug. Heh.

I kept thinking, "Oh, I think I would rather have *this thing*!", and then selling the Nikon to get it. Now that I'm older and wiser (how does 30 creep up on you, anyway), I see what I'm missing. This time, though, I'm not willing to give up other equipment to have it.

It'll be fun to have a silver one. I've always bought black for some reason.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like a good plan to me, Stephanie. Having begun my affair with cameras when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I've been bitten by all those bugs...medium format, large format, 35mm, 127, 110, 220, Polaroid, Half-Frame, Half-Wit...all of them. I like silver ones just as much as black ones, by the way.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey John, I'm not eating any Farmer brand peanuts at the moment but I am sipping some 16 yr old Scotch and that certainly puts me in a lightheaded and somewhat nostalgic mood. I stumbled across those very peanuts of which you speak back in the early '80s, living in Victoria BC, great old Chinatown there, sounds like still the same package and yeah I would pop 'em into my mouth, shells and all. A magnificent treat. Must go up Seattle way to look for some. I can understand their availability up here in the Pacific NW, but Dallas? The long tentacles of creeping globalization....
    Anyway, the camera notwithstanding, I think your story is worth 75 bucks on its own. How about I pay you the 75 smackeroos for this rare amusement, the stirring of long ago forgotten memories? You can send me the camera and a package of peanuts (Farmer brand - garlic flavor) as a token of our shared experience and I'll foot the bill for the postage?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Larry Storch? Man, that's going back a ways - gotta love F Troop!

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow Jon, you're really working hard to sell something that should pretty much sell itself. Hopefully you're entertaining yourself as much as your entertaining me with your descriptions.

Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've agreed to hold the FE for Stephanie, but thanks much for the note. If you were here in Dallas, I'd give you several bottles of scotch for free. Some of it must be 40 years old by now. It belonged to my late father and I just found it in a piece of furniture owned by my late mother. Doesn't really appeal to me as I'm more of a cold beer kind of guy. Anyway, there's most of a bottle of Swing, an unopened bottle of Aberlour (I think from the 1980s). Looks like somebody tried to open it...the cork is broken off at the top. That must have been disappointing. A bottle of J&B and some other stuff I can't remember. A fellow I used to work with has agreed to take it, but we've been having trouble getting together.

Dallas (and Texas in general) is often a surprise to people who study demography or Texas history (which reads more like a novel than a textbook). You'd expect Mexicans, and you'd be right. You might not expect as many Germans, Asians, Czechs, Swedes, Poles, French, Russians, Greeks, Dutch and Africans as are here. And after Germany decided in the 1800s to force the Wends to speak German and adopt German names, they rebelled and came...that's right...to Texas of all places. Texas, home to the Wends and for all I know maybe the start of the Lutheran faith movement in this country. At any rate home to St Paul's Church in Serbin...one of the oldest churches in America in continual use since it was built as I understand. Possibly the place has been successful because they serve Farmer's Brand Garlic Peanuts at communion. I've tried to get our church to do that, but they just sort of look down at their feet when I mention it. Kind of like the time I suggested we use Pernod instead of grape juice. You know that weak grin and vacant eye look that says "I don't understand at all but I'm too hard-headed to ask questions." Pernod may be sort of a forgotten drink. Like cherry sloe gin. And please don't ask because I have no idea why that popped out of the sludge trap I loosely refer to as my brain. One of these days I may look for a bottle of that. But not today.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Sadly Stephanie seems to have gone MIA, so I see nothing to do but offer the FE & lens back to the group. It hasn't changed a bit since November and yesterday it told me the rest and relaxation had done it good. If any questions, please let me know.
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin