Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,982   Online: 1032

Shooter
    Multi Format

FS: 180mm f/4.8 Ilex Acuton in Copal 1

This is a nice sharp single-coated plasmat with a 72-degree field of view, same as the Apo-Sironar-N or Apo-Symmar (not "L") lines. It covers 5x7 with a little movement. While the trim ring is marked as 190mm, any literature I've seen says this is a 180mm lens. It converts to 300mm by unscrewing the front cell. According to Lynn Jones these lenses are quite sharp from infinity to quite close, maybe 1:2, but I've never used it for closeups. And being f/4.8, this is probably the brightest 180 anywhere (only half a stop, but every little bit helps for focusing in the dark).

The glass is very very good, though not perfect. The white spots you see on the front shot are dust, which is tough to control around here now that it's winter and the air is dry. The shutter sounds about right on all speeds. There's only one factory-original aperture scale, the one that mounts on the front of the shutter, but I made a second one with a sticky label and a technical pen that you can see in the pictures. It's not pretty, but it's accurate and serviceable; if you wanted to waterproof it (to protect the label, the lettering is India ink and won't run) you could put a piece of clear tape over it. Mechanically it's fine with no dents or dings.

There's one minorly annoying idiosyncratic thing about these lenses - the front is not threaded to accept filters. SKG can make you a really nifty slip-on adapter to allow the use screw-on filters. I have one for another lens I own and it's a thing of beauty.

Includes are the retaining ring and the original front cap, but no rear cap.

I just have too many lenses in the 150-210 range.

US$175 plus shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 180_Acuton_4.jpg   180_Acuton_3.jpg   180_Acuton_2.jpg   180_Acuton_1.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do you have any experience with it at 300mm? Is it any good? I'm looking for a lens in this range for 6x17 and a lens that can cover my occasional longer lens needs without taking up space in the bag or wallet is quite welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In truth, I never used it as a 300. I could put it on my Canham 5x7 and have a look, but not until tomorrow as I'd need to thaw out some film tonight, and I can't develop test sheets until tomorrow night in my not-so-darkroom at the earliest. I do have a "real" 300mm to compare against, but no way to scan so you'd have to take my word on examination by loupe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wouldn't want to put you through all that. I'll try to dig up a little more on the web, although there seems to be hardly any info on this lens out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had an Acuton 150 that converted to a 250-something. It was reasonably sharp converted but not as sharp and by Roddy 240. For the occasions I used it I was quite happy with the results. I have since sold it. You are correct, it's nearly impossible to find info on these. I made a filter ring for mine with a 67mm step up ring and a bit of weather sealing foam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 150 converts to 247mm, the 180 to 300, and the 8-1/2" (215mm) to 14" (356mm).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bump for this excellent plasmat with much more coverage than a similar-speed 180mm f/4.5 Tessar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man, 180mm just doesn't get a lot of love. This focal length serves dual duty - as a slightly longer than normal lens for 4x5, while for 5x7 it's slightly wider than normal. On 5x7 it gives comparable angle of coverage to a 135mm on 4x5, so if you (like me) prefer a 135 to a 150 for your 4x5 this will feel right at home.

And don't forget that it's convertible!!!

$175 now includes US shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How right you are, Steve, no respect. I have the Nikon version of this focal length and like it very much. I also have a 150 and a 210 and keep going to my 180 all the time. BTW Steve is a good guy to deal with. I would also think that the f:4.8 aperture makes a nice bright ground glass too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin