Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,122   Online: 1117

Shooter
    35mm

FS: Zorki 4 with lenses

In 1955 the Soviets decided to design a camera which embodied everything the Leica was but in a package "everyman" could afford. Camera engineers worldwide for years had trouble copying the Leica shutter, but in my opinion their trouble all centered around their inability to mass-produce the thing. It is a very simple shutter, but mass production of something requiring so much precision was very challenging and expensive with manufacturing capabilities of the day. So in 1956 (the same year Nikita instigated the post-Stalin thaw) the Russians presented to the world the Zorki 4. Everyone agreed the 1956 model of this camera was as close as anyone ever came to the Leica, and it was instantly just as popular as you'd expect it to be. Production in 1957 quadrupled, the tolerances were changed to allow faster assembly and the magnificent Zorki 4 irreversibly and sadly became a different thing. Today...right here on APUG you can have one of the first of Zorki 4 units produced. Hint: if you want to know if a Zorki 4 was produced in that first and historic year, look at the winding knob and rewind knob. The first year had grooves running vertically (like you see below). All other years had a cross-hatch groove on both knobs. Today it is very difficult to locate a Zorki 4 from the first year. You can look on eBay for months and never see one. Then you will see one, but the knobs will be wrong and you will know you have located a camera which has been patched together from other parts crudely. Another key is the shutter curtains. Early curtains were stitched. Later ones were glued and stamped between folded lath ends. Also, the 1956 model was not marked USSR or CCCP.

So by now you know this isn't a Leica. Shame on Jon for bait and switch marketing, but those of you still reading now also know a little more of the story about the 1956 Zorki 4 and you also know this unmolested one may be more collectible than any other Soviet made camera with the possible exception of the NKVD. But what you can't know is how smooth this camera really is. And it isn't easy to put into words. It has a souplesse of action that for a camera which has never been serviced is impressive. Some might say remarkable. The viewfinder is both bright and large...not at all squinty or small. The rangefinder patch is bright and there is a diopter adjustment which makes accurate and quick focusing pleasant and easy for any eye. Cocking is easy. The shutter is surprisingly quiet and works with such ease and grace that you instantly understand the amount of care given to the production of this camera. Self-timer works and the camera has never been abused nor damaged. All numbers (even the tiny flash delay numbers) are engraved. I'd say it shows less than average wear given its age and the amount of use it has seen. It comes with the Jupiter 8 in silver (also from 1956) a 5 cm (50mm) 1:2 lens. That lens is still smooth and nice. I'll also include a black Jupiter 8 produced in 1975 which is in like-new condition and comes with both end caps. I'll also include an Industar 61 L/D lens (53mm / 2.8 lens thought by many to be one of the sharpest lenses available)--sorry but I forgot to take a picture of it. It is the black model, though and has both caps. And I'll include from 1963 a Jupiter 11 135mm / 1:4 lens in great condition with both caps. The original leather case comes with it. Shows some wear but is still fine. $300 plus insured and trackable shipping for the camera, the case and a total of 4 lenses.

If questions, please ask. I'd rather sell this one in the USA, but I'll consider sending it abroad.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zorki 4 front.jpg   Zorki 4 front2.jpg   Zorki 4 back.jpg   Zorki 4 bottom.jpg   Zorki 4 all.jpg  

Zorki 4 detail.jpg   Zorki 4 lens 1.jpg   Zorki 4 lens 2.jpg   Zorki 4 lens 3.jpg   Zorki 4 lens 4.jpg  

Zorki 4 shutter view.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *title edited. Please do not post misleading titles. Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Some people have asked if I had images of the Industar 61 L/D. I took some this morning and they are shown below.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Industar 1.jpg   Industar 2.jpg   Industar 3.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    So about now, I'll bet some of you who received cash as a Christmas gift are saying to yourselves "I wonder what I can do with this $300 I received from uncle Hugh Jass? What oh what would he want me to buy for myself?" The answer might be this Zorki 4 and so as an after Christmas special, you can have it for $300 shipped...total...title, license, tax, the whole thing. Operators are standing by to take your call. If questions, please ask.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't believe that this hasn't been grabbed yet! If it is still available around tax time, I will be seriously tempted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FS: Zorki 4 with lenses

Geez, Jon is such a good salesman! :-)

I'm tempted as it does seem a real unique opportunity, but just a couple weeks ago I ordered up a refurbed IIIf RD body from Youxin...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys. I should mention the offer is for domestic shipping. I also should tell you the silver Jupiter 8 is the one which matches the camera (by year, that is...or another way of saying it came with the camera originally).
    Jon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin