Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,168   Online: 1072

Shooter
    Multi Format

FS: 4X5 RB Auto Graflex--museum piece? Fix and Use?

Ok, this is a weird one. A friend who used to own a camera store gave me this, said "yours to do with, whatever you want, maybe you can make it work," and what I did with it was let it sit, and sit.

No future in that.

It is an RB Super Graflex, 4 X 5, or 5 X 4 if you prefer. It is in really lovely condition, its metal parts burnished.

But, it does not work.

What I think is, someone gussied this thing up to display. They sand blasted all the metal parts, cleaned the leather, replaced the probably dead leather hood with a wooden mock-up which looks really good, and put on it an amazing lens.

The stripped and polished the bagmag. More on that in a sec.

Check out that lens -- an f 5.5 16-inch Tele Megor, by Hugo Meyer & Co., Gorlitz and New York. The whole thing is sand blasted to bring out the lovely brass, goes all the way down to f32, and as far as I can tell it should be a working lens, the diaphram works, the glass is clean and clear.

Uncoated, of course!

There is a little wooden brace to set under the lens and prevent strain on the lens mount. Very professional. But the lens does mount.

Put the lens on the camera, it projects an image to the mirror and up to the ground glass. Really, what more do you want?

The bag mag -- it is a 12-shot bag mag, all the septums are in it. Someone has constructed what looks like a nice suade bag. Does it work? I wonder. Bag mags are not my thing, so who knows? But the wood is gorgeous.

Did you know that Graflex used the finest mahogany under that leather? It's true. Until the Century Graphic, which is plastic.

Could this camera be fixed? I don't know. Take the bag mag off, there is a shutter curtain back there, but the shutter curtain winding knob does not turn. Maybe the shutter is jammed down there, maybe parts are missing. I don't know. The mirror works, the shutter switch releases the mirror, the focusing rack is all there and works, bellows are tight so far as I can tell and in good order.

Or maybe you have your own museum. This is ready to go!

So, anyone? I figure $250?

Sorry, I would not want to part it out.

That lens alone ought to be worth that. We're gonna have to talk about shipping. Two boxes, maybe $30 for the whole mess? God only knows if you want it shipped to Australia or Europe, we would have to talk about that. Frankly, if you live within 100 miles of Ogden, Utah, it would pay you to come to Ogden and pick it up. I'll throw in lunch at the local brew pub, no extra charge, you save shipping, everyone wins. You can say you tried Polygamy in Utah -- Polygamy Pale Ale, very excellent stuff.

If you can't wait, wire $280 to my paypal at summicron12000@yahoo.com (which is also my email) and I'll eat any excess postage/shipping in the continental US. Ask questions, let's talk!

Because, really, you need this camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030834.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	60831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030835.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	60832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030838.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	60833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030839.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	60834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030845.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	60835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030847.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	60836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030848.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	60837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030850.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	60838

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, I miss the local beers of Utah. But my favorite spirit was High West Silver oat whiskey. They have it in California where I am currently, but it's overpriced. Good luck with the sale!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ur in salt lake? I could deliver....

Shooter
    35mm
    I was. Unfortunately, I live in Pasadena now (need to update my profile) and I’m broke. Otherwise, I’d drive up to Ogden to geek out, if nothing else. I didn’t mean to interfere with your ad. Just homesick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PRICE REDUCED -- I response to a question I took a closer look at the lens on this -- I still think it would probably not be bad, but have to say that upon cleaning the front element I see that it is pocked a bit, as if the idiot who sandblasted the brass had a bit of overspray -- from the rear the lens still looks clear but from the front it just looks like a very light dusting that you can't clean off. As an uncoated lens of great vintage I suspect it would be OK to use, not up to modern optics but you already knew that.

I can post a picture if you like.

Soooooo -- $225 for the whole thing and I'll pay the postage in the US? Make me an offer. Let's talk.

Offer of beer if you come to Ogden stands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    You can say you tried Polygamy in Utah -- Polygamy Pale Ale, very excellent stuff.
    That Ale is for those that find that just one is not enough.

What is the serial number?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin