Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,332   Online: 1051

Shooter
    ULarge Format

FS: 290mm Marion RR w/Copal 3 adapter

Well, for brevity, I lied a bit in the title - this is only a Rectilinear, not an RR or Rapid Rectilinear. Rapid Rectilinears were an improvement on Rectilinears.

This is a rather beautiful barrel-mounted Marion & Co (London) Rectilinear No 3, S/N 12,347, cut for Waterhouse Stops. It's focal length is approximately 290mm, and is f/8 wide open. The VM indicates this lens would have been made in the 1878-1888 period. Wide open, the lens just covers 5x7 at infinity, but I believe this lens was intended for Whole Plate usage. (No 1 = 1/4 plate, No 2 = 1/2 plate, No 3 = WP, I'm guessing). As you'll see in the examples below, it has a sharp-to-the-edges 10" image circle stopped down.

Included with the lens is a mounting flange, Waterhouse stops f/11, 16, 22, 32 45 & 64, along with an adapter that allows the lens to be front-mounted to a Copal 3 shutter. Sorry, no shutter is included. The flange is mounted on a 4x4 board with standoffs, so that a Packard shutter could be mounted behind it. Sorry, no Packard included, either.

The lens is in nice shape. It does not seem to have been dropped, as the lenshade is still perfectly round. There are no real scratches, separation, etc. It is at least 125 years old, however, so there are lots and lots of miniscule cleaning marks, enough to rob you of a bit of contrast, but also infusing your photos with that inimitable antique look.

I call this lens beautiful because it was supplied by Marion & Co in a nickel-plated brass barrel. The nickel plating has chipped away in discrete spots, giving it a freckled look, quite appropriate for its age.

I manufactured the Waterhouse stops. They're chemically-blackened brass, with beveled apertures. I also made the Copal 3 adapter. Using it, I was able to take the first example, shooting wide open, i.e., f/8 @ 1/125 sec. The second example was shot using the f/22 stop @ 1/15 sec. It's much easier to control speeds with a shutter than with a hat

$200 + shipping. Paypal OK.

Charley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marion-Back.jpg   Marion-Legend.jpg   Marion-Waterhouse-Stops.jpg   Marion+Copal.jpg  
    Last edited by c.d.ewen; 12-12-2012 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Here are the example photos - f/8 @ 1/125 sec and f/22 @ 1/15 sec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120126-f8.jpg   120126-f22.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Last chance.

$150 + shipping.

Charley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin