Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,139   Online: 1045

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Perfect Early Copal 3 Direct Replacement Compound 3 Schneider & 210 Heliar

This is a shutter that ran for a year or 2 in 1969 - 1971 time frame, and it is a direct replacement for any Schneider lens that came in the Compound 3 or size 3 barrel with 56mm threads. Modern lenses are 58mm thread.

From memory, some of the lenses that would have come in the Compound 3 would be 210mm f4.5 Xenar. 300mm Convertible Symmar. 210mm Angulon. And everyone's fave, the early 355mm G-Claron.

One other oddball which is really neat is the 210mm Coated Voigtlander Heliar. Never tried it, but perhaps the 210 f4.5 Lanthar would be a direct fit also since it's a glorified Heliar. These are all direct fit, no machine work necessary. My keeper Heliar is in one of these.

This shutter has 56mm threads, but what also makes it unique is the long boss area beyond the flange threads which is the same distance body to body as the Compound. All later Copal 3's and ones used by other brands didn't have the careful distances that made them interchange with the Compound and #3 barrels.

This shutter is near mint and the speeds sound impeccable. I'm into it at [SIZE=3]$345[/SIZE] + shipping
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jim, I have a 210 Heliar (coated) that doesn't seem to fit anything...maybe this will do the job? Interested if it works so I will measure my lens and let you know the size.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just checked it but hard to know where to measure, seems to be around 58/9 millimeter? My Heliar is probably a late manufacture s/n 6594790, and has a built in aperture.
    Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello, I have a Componon 300/5.6 and have removed the front and rear cells from the iris barrel in the center. The Componon has a thread diameter of 56mm on each cell which would make it an ideal candidate for the #3S Copal which as the dimension for the front and rear throat; according to the SKGrimes site. Now the problem is that the iris barrel has a rim to rim thickness of 38.5mm whereas the #3S Copal has a thickness of 28.6mm, so the rear cell would never catch the rear threads of the throat. Measurement of the depth of the rear throat on the iris barrel gives me 15mm. So any shutter that had the right size thread throat, front and rear, would also have to have a throat depth of 15mm in back. You mention that the boss is as long as on Compound .

My question is, is the boss long enough to accommodate the rear cell of the Componon 300. If the shutter fits the specs, then I would be very happy

regards,
    Bogdan.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkarasek View Post
    Hello, I have a Componon 300/5.6 and have removed the front and rear cells from the iris barrel in the center. The Componon has a thread diameter of 56mm on each cell which would make it an ideal candidate for the #3S Copal which as the dimension for the front and rear throat; according to the SKGrimes site. Now the problem is that the iris barrel has a rim to rim thickness of 38.5mm whereas the #3S Copal has a thickness of 28.6mm, so the rear cell would never catch the rear threads of the throat. Measurement of the depth of the rear throat on the iris barrel gives me 15mm. So any shutter that had the right size thread throat, front and rear, would also have to have a throat depth of 15mm in back. You mention that the boss is as long as on Compound .

My question is, is the boss long enough to accommodate the rear cell of the Componon 300. If the shutter fits the specs, then I would be very happy

regards,
    Bogdan.
    Bogdan, the 15mm is there for sure at the back, but unless I'm measuring wrong, the over-all barrel length is 37mm, not 38.5. The only thing I can think is perhaps the enlarging optics had the slight extra length in the barrel over the taking optics like Symmar. This even has the correct aperture scale for your Componon.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    SOLD! Thanks Apug! Off to make a donation.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin