Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,237   Online: 902

Shooter
    Multi Format

Calumet 8x10 Enlarger and NEW-UNUSED Aristo 8100 VCL Head

For Sale is one Calumet 10x10 Enlarger and New in Box, never used or installed Aristo VCL 8100 Variable Contrast Cold Light head and controller in original shipping box.

For Sale-$1,500
    • Calumet 10x10 Enlarger- 90.5" x 37" x 30" (size without table)
    • Aristo VCL 8100 variable contrast cold light head with solid state controller.
    • Negative Carrier for 8x10
    • One Sheet of Anti Newton Glass
    • 2-Lens Boards (Calumet C-1 style)
    • White Laminate table top with Black Rubber edging. Mounting holes on bottom (not for this enlarger) - 43.25" x 35.5" x 1"

The Calumet 10 x 10 Enlarger is a beast. Very large, very solid enlarger, but operationally it is all very smooth and easy to use. The column is a thick 5" x 7" steel column weighing in at 110 pounds. The head and table base are geared and controlled by large cranks for easy raising and lowering. 3 options for focus. A large geared crank for the coarse focus with a smaller knob for fine focus as well as a chain driven fine focus. You can work the chain back and forth in each hand while you look through your focus magnifier for critical focus. The bellows is supple and free of cracks or noticeable wear. Everything works as it should and there seems to be no parts missing except the original negative carrier (replacement included) and the original light source.

After much thought, this enlarger could be used as is with the base or mounted to the wall without base and some custom made brackets. With further modifications to the negative carrier, I would imagine you could also just mount the column horizontally for extreme enlargements.

The 8x10 Negative Carrier looks to be well made out of sheet aluminum, hinged on one side. Brackets for glass on both sides, but one side is missing. I will include a sheet of Anti Newton Ring glass (not cut to size) or you could modify to your preferences.

Working condition of everything is mostly very good considering its age, but noticed flaws below:
    • Lens stage has been modified by moving it away from column about an inch. Looks like metal plate can be removed and repositioned.
    • Most of the steel bolts and other raw steel surfaces have surface rust from storage. Nothing that couldn't be removed with a little naval jelly and a scotch brite pad.
    • Negative carrier is missing one piece of glass ( Anti Newton Ring Glass to be fitted by buyer will be supplied )
    • Negative carrier glass clips, screws and hinge have surface rust. Nothing that couldn't be removed with a little naval jelly and a scotch brite pad.
    • Leveling feet on base need to be replaced
    • Table top is not original and would need to be notched to fit around column if desired.
    • Large counterweight that fits inside column would be overkill for this lighter cold light head. You could use without counterweight or cut down weight. Counterweight is ~ 5" x 2.5" x 48" of solid steel. I have not weighed it yet...but using a weight calculator, it came out to 170lbs-!

Cosmetic Condition of this enlarger, I would consider it a 5. It is old and beat up looking, but nothing that would affect performance or durability. Please don't hesitate to contact if you would like more detailed photo of any part of enlarger or head.

The Aristo VCL 8100 (10 x 10) is brand new, never used and only removed from the packaging to photograph for this sale. It would need some easy fabrication to mount permanently, or it could actually just sit on top of the negative stage and gaffer taped around the perimeter to prevent light leaks. Controller controls the contrast on variable contrast papers and you can dial from 0-5 in .1 increments. Works with any timer as relay is built into controller.

LOCAL PICK-UP ONLY or would deliver within Chicago Metro area. If you require shipping, I will help you coordinate crating and shipping, but I can not quote prices. Below are approximate sizes and weights to help your shipper estimate crating and delivery. The cold light head is UPS shippable.

Head Assembly: 29" x 25" x 25" - 70lbs
    Column: 90' x 7" x 5" - 110lbs
    Geared Table Stage: 35" x 16" x 14" - 35lbs
    Table Surface: 44" x 36" x 1" - 40lbs
    Base: 37" x 29" x 12" - 60lbs
    Solid Steel Counterweight: 5" x 2.5" x 48" ~170lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC23XX_Enlarger_061.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_067.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_070.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_076.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_088.jpg  

DC23XX_Enlarger_073.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_072.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_065.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_064.jpg   DC23XX_Enlarger_063.jpg  

DC23XX_VCL8100_099.jpg   DC23XX_VCL8100_107.jpg   DC23XX_VCL8100_108.jpg   DC23XX_VCL8100_109.jpg   DC23XX_VCL8100_093.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just came out of the darkroom for a pause. Making 8x10 contact prints with a projected VCL4500. You have no idea how good this looks right now. I've never seen a brand new-in-box VCL unit before, let alone the 8x10 unit. I've got the money. I've got the use case. Hell, forget shipping. I'd just drive to Chicago. But unfortunately I'd also have to add a new room onto the house to use it. And you married guys already know the answer to that one...

Good luck with your sale. I don't expect to ever see a brand new VCL8100 again. For anyone else interested, also remember that brand new replacement lamp grids are now available for both the VCL4500 and VCL8100 units from LCD Lighting, Inc., if ever needed for this unit.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format

a month too late

I just bought that chassis and a Super Chromega head in St Louis a month ago. I am in Chicago. I sure could use that head though. I am going to PM you now.

Indian Creek, IL. 60061 35 miles NW of Chicago, IL.
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Calumet 8X10 Enlarger

Hi, would like to know more about the Calumet 8X10 enlarger you have for sale. I am John Moye I live in Vernon Hills, IL. Which is in Lake County. About 30 miles north of down town Chicago. My phone # is (847)816-0950
    Does the enlarger use an 8X10 glassless negative carrier, can you also enlarge 5X7, & 4X5 negatives? What is the smallest negative you can enlarge, using your Calumet 8X10 enlarger?
    I am now using the 8X10 Conversion kit made for Beslser 4X5 enlarger. If your VC cold light head works on my conversion kit. I would like to buy it. Please call me Monday morning at (847)816-0950-Home or (312)505-4093 I have to be at the Milwaukee airport tomorrow afternoon. If you are not selling separately will buy complete system.
    John Moye (847)816-0950-Home, (312)505-4093-Cell
    Jim, I just realized who you are. We where at SIU together. Last time I saw you. Was a weekday morning, some years back, when you were at your studio door, on Ashland Ave.. Do not remember the cross street. At the time. I had a studio space on Hubbard St. Since that time. Closed studio, moved to Madison, WI. Am now back in Illinois.
    Last edited by moye44; 12-31-2012 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ken,
    Ha..I know what you mean...This beast has dominated the basement for too long. At one time there were talks of a "Darkroom Wing" on the house but it didn't fly here either. ;-)
    Thanks for the update on replacement lamps. Good to know
    Take Care,
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Randy,
    I have a long list of people interested in the head alone. I'm going to hold out a bit before I split them up. I may have trouble getting rid of the enlarger without a head. Thanks for your interest though.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John,
    I'm sorry, but I don't remember us bumping in to each other. Maybe someone else? I never had a studio on Ashland. LaSalle St, Peoria, Chestunt and now Monroe. I also don't remember the name from SIU....but heck, I don't remember much from that era :-) . I'm sure I would recognize you if I saw you though. I'll call you in a bit.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cash in hand

Hi Jim,

I have cash in hand. I can buy today. I have a large empty van.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good grief... I'm never financially prepared to buy these days. I'd have bought this in a split-second.

Shooter
    Multi Format

SOLD-Calumet 8x10 Enlarger and Aristo 8100 VCL Head

Thanks to all that were interested. Sorry I did not have more Aristo head's to sell-!!
    Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin