Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,868   Posts: 1,583,290   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Multi Format

FS: Early Toyo 4x5 Field w/ New Bellows

Toyo Field 4x5
    or more specifically,
    Toyo / Sakai 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 metal field camera
    with New Bellows
    $625 or best reasonable offer

This is the classic early Toyo Field with a new bellows and 4x5 bail back with original Toyo ground glass and fresnel.

It has front rise, fall, tilt and swing, and rear tilt. Everything works as it should.

The only thing missing is the strap. I have the original, which is pretty hopelessly worn, and am in the process of making a new one of leather. This will be done by the time it's ready to ship.

Some more vital statistics:

It weighs about 5 lbs 13 oz. The absolute minimum bellows extension appears to be about 2-3/4 inches. Maximum is about 13 inches. There is also a rear extension, which brings it to about 14-3/4 inches; this maxes out the bellows, so you won't get movements at that length.

It takes late-model Crown / Speed Graphic lensboards.

The bellows is new, bought from a vendor in Japan. It's not quite as thin as the original, but the camera folds up well with it. The covering is a leatherette material, so it should last a lot longer than an original Toyo replacement would.

These have a reputation for wrinkling the bellows when closing, but it depends on how the camera is folded. To avoid this, when folding the camera, push the front standard all the way "down", or towards the rear of the camera after folding the front down parallel with the bed. Then fold the rear standard down over it, and the bellows won't wrinkle. This is true of the original bellows, as well as this replacement.

Folded, the camera measures about 8-1/2 inches tall by 8 inches wide (9-1/2 wide including the knobs at the sides), and about 3-1/2 inches thick (3-3/4" including extension knobs on the bottom).

The back revolves 360 degrees. One nice thing is that the regular 4x5 back can be removed and replaced with a Toyo View 4x5 International back; it's a perfect fit. So if you have a 45D, 45E or 45F, you can interchange the backs.

Legend has it that there were 5x7 and 6.5x8.5 backs made for this camera; I've seen one of the larger ones in photos, but never managed to get my hands on either one.

This is a really nice camera and I hate to part with it, but economic necessity dictates that I get rid of some excess gear. I know I'll probably be sorry later, so buy it before I change my mind.

Figure 7 lbs shipping weight from Zip Code 90027. I can ship Priority Mail, First Class Mail, or UPS (in order of my preference).

I ship right after PayPal funds clear to my account; this takes a few days.

Pictures:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i have always wanted a metal toyo view, i wish my toyo rail camera was sold off so i could buy this one !
    does this take normal 4x5 film holders in its current configuration? or does it take proprietary toyo / sakai 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 that might
    be hard to locate? is it modular with any of the other items in the toyo family ? ( will a modern toyo 5x7 back fit this camera ? )

thanks !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has a standard 4x5 back on it, which uses regular 4x5 film holders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    that is great to know, because your ad wasn't clear.
    will it take the other backs ?

good luck with the sale!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wish I could afford this, I've been looking for a 4x5 field camera in good condition with decent movements... :/ blah..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is this a different lens board size than the modern Toyo cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replying to two posts above:

1) My memory of what I've read is sketchy, but there were at least a 5x7 and a 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 back originally available for this camera. The latter had an extension built onto it, with swings. You can see pictures of the camera at www.glennview.com/vcam -- go to the page and search for "4x55x7 Toyo Field Camera" (no quotes). There are two groups of photos, and the one showing the larger back installed is the last one, at the bottom of the second group.

I had thought of modifying this camera to make rear swings for it, but decided against touching it because of the tolerances involved; I couldn't figure how to do it without modifying the basic geometry on the thing, without actually modifying the bed at the back, and I'm not willing to do that on one of these; they're rather rare.

2) The camera uses the same lensboards as the Crown Graphic, and later Speed Graphic. These are plentiful used; rarely you can find one undrilled for a price. Also, there are after-market boards made that are pretty reasonable, and would save you having to pay Toyo prices. These pop up on eBay from time to time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SOLD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin