Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,072   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mamiya 645 AF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kent, it is not cool to put down other peoples gear, it is not all about technical merits of which is bigger, 135 format has so much flexibility from developing anywhere, size, weight, lenses, number of exposures from each roll, frame rate, etc. I'm leaving for Spain and Framce for a 2 week holiday, my camera of choice is my F4 and 17-35mm case in point. Good luck on your sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GKR1 View Post
    Kent, it is not cool to put down other peoples gear, it is not all about technical merits of which is bigger, 135 format has so much flexibility from developing anywhere, size, weight, lenses, number of exposures from each roll, frame rate, etc. I'm leaving for Spain and France for a 2 week holiday, my camera of choice is my F4 and 17-35mm case in point. Good luck on your sale.
    I don't think Kent was trying to belittle anyone's gear choices. Seems he was just making a point that the thread is here to sell his equipment and not to start a series of post on what format is better. I think we all know that there is a time and place for any system and it is partially in part to personal preference. So I wouldn't read his response as negative.

Kent, I am quite sure you will find a new home for the Mamiya, and congrats on the new Mamiya 7, from one fellow & rival(Pentax) 67 shooter to another.

Seems these days the medium format market is fickle and its all about finding the right person... the older rigs can be had for very nice deals if you keep your eyes pealed, and the newer ones while you can get deals, but they also start approaching the price range of a 4x5 outfits, which sometimes makes them harder to find a home for. I know I've been looking at both sides of that equation and will likely end up with whichever presents the right deal first. ( 645n/Shen Hao/Toyo/ etc..)
    http://www.mjohnsonphotography.net
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjohnsonphoto/

DSLR: Canon 5DmkII & Canon 20D
    35mm: Pentax LX & K1000SE
    Medium Format: Pentax 67II
    Shen Hao 45 HZX II

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have shot the 645AFD system extensively and have access to one presently. The lenses are superb and the handling of the camera is quite nice with not much more weight or heft than an autofocus 135 system camera.

Now the af isn't going to preform like a modern 135 size slr/dslr but is VERY accurate if a bit slow if you are used to modern 135 af.

645 is a nice format IMO and there is plenty advantage resolution wise to make it "worth it" over 135.

Good luck with the sale.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bump...
    www.kentchamness.com

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion. - Jack Kerouac

Mamiya 7, Mamiya 645af, Nikon F3, Minolta XD-11, Nikon D600

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kent, I was just stating what I've read. I believe 100% that 645 is awesome and don't think that 645 is pointless because it's only _so_ much larger than 35mm. Different systems for different shooting. I have a Mamiya 645 Pro with me right now.

I also like 6x6 and 35mm (when I want to shoot a smaller camera).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bump...
    www.kentchamness.com

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion. - Jack Kerouac

Mamiya 7, Mamiya 645af, Nikon F3, Minolta XD-11, Nikon D600

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin