Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,218   Online: 850

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Schneider 1:8/165 Super Angulon w/Compur Shutter in Custom-Made Deardorff Lensboard

Greetings,

It is painful to do so, but I may have to let go of my beloved 165/1:8 Schneider Super Angulon. This is a very hard to find lens in good condition. It is no longer made. I purchased it three years ago in preparation for a trip to Havana, and can no longer afford to shoot 8x10 primarily to complete a current body of work which I need funding for. The prospect of months in Havana does not appear to be in my near future, so I must let go of this in order to fund the purchase of a 4x5 camera, or a significant amount of 8x10 color negative film to continue working on a body of work in Centralia, Pennsylvania.

The lens itself is in pristine condition, but for a completely irrelevant issue with the filter threading of the front element, which in no way affects the functionality and abilities of the lens. A small area of the threading is worn down and bent slightly, which will perhaps prevent the use of a center filter. The lens itself does not require a center filter, and I can vouch for its total lack of distortion on my Deardorff. A center filter will also equal or exceed the cost of the lens itself, the cost of which is nearly impossible for most photographers without independent means of financing their work. I have found no need for a center filter.

The Compur shutter functions excellently on T/B and from 1/25 to 1/400 of a second. The shutter itself will need to be serviced and adjusted for all shutter speeds to function flawlessly. It is worth the investment for someone who can use this lens well. I have not used it enough, and would like to see it go to a good home.

Richard T. Ritter made a custom lens-board for this massive and weighty lens that, without proper mounting, is bound to cause problems with balance and movements on a wooden field camera. With the mahogany lensboard crafted with love by Richard, I do not have balance or shifting issues with movements on the Deardorff. It is solid and a remarkable piece of craftsmanship and beauty, like the lens itself.

Believe it or not, unlike my 240 Symmar, there are no visible issues with Schneideritis in either of the elements. It comes with both rear and front element lenscaps.

I am willing to take $1050 for the lens with the buyer paying shipping. (The fifty dollars account for Paypal costs.) I am willing to take offers. I will consider offers of trade for a Chamonix 4x5 camera, a Linhof Technika IV or V, and welcome other similar offers, particularly if they include 8x10 color negative film. Please write me in a private message with interests, offers, questions, or other necessary information requested.

The lens will be packed and shipped with the utmost probity and care. It can be very frustrating to not understand the care or lack thereof on the other end of a sale. As I love this lens and want you to love it and care for it, I will pack it with great care.

There are numerous web sites with information on the coverage and reputation of this lens. If you are interested, chances are you have heard of the reputation of the lens, or have used it and experienced its distortion-less majesty. It is a keeper, if one can afford to keep it. It is the holy grail of 8x10 wide angle lenses. It is fantastic for interiors and interior architecture. I want to see it to a good home. I am willing to sell it internationally if the buyer covers insurance and all shipping related costs. However, I would recommend buying such a large lens, locally.

All Good Things,

Michael Serra
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0053.JPG   DSC_0054.JPG   DSC_0055.JPG   DSC_0056.JPG   DSC_0057.JPG  

DSC_0058.JPG   DSC_0059.JPG   DSC_0060.JPG   DSC_0061.JPG   DSC_0062.JPG  

DSC_0063.JPG   DSC_0064.JPG   DSC_0065.JPG   DSC_0066.JPG   DSC_0068.JPG  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Greetings Again,

I will lower the price to $950.

Thank you,

Michael

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Greetings again,

I am more than willing to take offers on the lens: The price is lowered to $900.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello All,

The price is lowered to $850. I am still taking offers involving trades.

Best,
    Michael

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bump

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bump

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bump. I will consider all offers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bump.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    $800

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I am now asking $750 for the lens. This is a steal. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Best,
    Michael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin