Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,682   Online: 780

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    nicholai, obviously perfection isn't the only tool in the photographer's arsenal. I just wonder what makes these SO special. Shooting with "less perfect" lenses gives you a different look, but what makes these types of lenses so specifically sought-after?

This might be something that needs to be addressed in its own thread, now that I think about it.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    nicholai, obviously perfection isn't the only tool in the photographer's arsenal. I just wonder what makes these SO special. Shooting with "less perfect" lenses gives you a different look, but what makes these types of lenses so specifically sought-after?
    You get less contrast with older lenses. You can use lenses like a petzval and force aberrations like swirls in the background. You can use a meniscus lens out of the barrel and get amazing soft, glowing highlights. You can use a rapid rectilinear and get much different tone rendition than a modern coated lens. If you shoot color, your going to get a different palette in the shot. There are plenty of reasons people use them and value them. And, probably, a lot of people are like me, and just value the historical idea of them. To be using a lens that has been is use for over 100 years has its own appeal.

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Good summary, rrankin. Thanks!
    *runs off to google "how to get petzval swirl"*
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin