Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,321   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    What really hurts is when you donate something to a not-for-profit museum, and then they sell it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Totally agree T, just worried that banter in Sales Threads of APUG will make sellers not want to sell here because they are heckled for selling. There is even a policy of such here at APUG. Maybe a PM might have been more appropriate than Sellers here shamed for selling what others might cherish....

Had the OP said, "I've a ton of slides that I've no clue what to do with" in the Lounge....well that is fair game....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wy2l View Post
    What really hurts is when you donate something to a not-for-profit museum, and then they sell it.
    True. Sometimes they have to deaccession items to fund other purchases.

One benefit with getting slides (or other items) into the hands of museums, is that information and pictures can be made available in digital archives. Photography departments of museums often has staff that will work all the pertinent metadata, do color corrections and make files look good, and then either make the files available for people to use for free, or against a fee, depending on the copyright situation and who actually owns those rights.

That's another benefit to society that is probably not thought about enough, and benefits those who do research on various topics; people that are enthusiasts, curators, or otherwise benefiting from the effort.
    If the pictures themselves are interesting enough (subjective, I know), of course.

Just so that it's blatantly obvious - I have no qualms at all with the OP selling these items. I'm glad he found a buyer that has an interest in them. That is much better than them collecting dust.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 05-22-2013 at 10:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

No offense meant. I apologize to you.

However, to me a trove of what might be historical slides is clearly much different than a camera. Then again, to you the two items might be similar. If so, please once again accept my apologies.

Moreover, no hassles intended to anyone who sells anything. By all means sell anything to any willing buyer.

As to the other comments: I agree that a serious collector and archivist will be a good source of conservation.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 05-22-2013 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I appreciate all the thoughts on the subject...though I will mention that these are not super old slides. I did offer them to the California Railroad Museum in Sacramento but they were not interested in them. You would be amazed at the things that museums/libraries/etc. pass up from people trying to donate.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    I appreciate all the thoughts on the subject...though I will mention that these are not super old slides. I did offer them to the California Railroad Museum in Sacramento but they were not interested in them. You would be amazed at the things that museums/libraries/etc. pass up from people trying to donate.
    as a volunteer at the Ogden Union Station archive (check out my blog http://theunionstation.org/index.php/blog/) I thank you for checking out the California RR Museum. Ogden is home to the Utah Railroad Museum and, yeah, a lot of stuff gets offered that can't be used, either for simple logistical reasons -- three Civil War era railroad cars? -- or because we simply lack the ability to deal with it.

We get a lot of odd stuff -- today a cannon ball showed up -- and do our best. We don't sell stuff, either, unless it is something we simply have no use for, but the money would help. We've had several local folks die recently who left use huge collections of slides and/or pictures of trains. There are folks out there who have their own huge accumulations ... the tough thing is to decide if it fits in with our needs and helps tell the story of Utah railroading that we're trying to tell.

And don't be hard on museums that do sell a donation -- you have no idea how desperate we are for money ... selling something that has cash value but duplicates something we already have makes every donation worthwhile. For example someone recently died who donated his entire library...we're keeping the best and selling the duplicates. The resulting cash helps pay for preserving the rest of the donation -- have you priced museum-grade storage boxes lately?

Shooter
    35mm
    tjaded -

Were these ever sold? If not, can you provide a little more information regarding how old they are (1980s/90s/2000/etc) and what they cover?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin