Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 746

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Railroad 35mm slides. THOUSANDS of them.

I have a HUGE amount of railroad 35mm slides...these came from the estate of someone that was a train fanatic. Being that there are a ton of them, the weight is, well, high! Higher than my postal scale goes. If anyone is interested in these please PM me. The slides themselves are $250, shipping will depend on where they are going. If you happen to live near San Francisco and could pick them up, that would be even better!
    Thanks for reading,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I assume you;ve considered offering them to a railroad enthusiastics group?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've thought of it, and probably should...but I don't know of any. I figure there are a couple of train photographers on APUG that should get first crack at them!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PM sent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sold, pending payment.
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    railroad museum in sacramento would love them.....

Call the Smithsonian. The slides might well belong in a museum. With respect, it would be a shame to sell the slides to someone who will put them in a collection, or sell them off to other collectors.

You might also call the SF museum of Science, or the Yale University Sterling Library.....the latter has a rare book collection that is stored under perfect conditions. Realizing that you have slides rather than books, perhaps they might still be interested....there are also Berkley and Stanford..

Too late....too bad....enjoy your collection....and still consider donating them!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To those suggesting a seller to donate his/her items - that is quite rude. Do you also hassle folks who sell say a Pentax K1000 that he/she should instead donate it to a community college or whatnot? Sure the items are "rare" but there is a huge difference between a For Sale thread on this site and a post in the lounge saying "I've this big box of railroad slides, what should I with them...."
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    To those suggesting a seller to donate his/her items - that is quite rude. Do you also hassle folks who sell say a Pentax K1000 that he/she should instead donate it to a community college or whatnot? Sure the items are "rare" but there is a huge difference between a For Sale thread on this site and a post in the lounge saying "I've this big box of railroad slides, what should I with them...."
    Often when donations are made, particularly to not for profit organizations, tax deductions can be made. It may be worth while to look into it, after a value of the slides has been established.

Many times I look at the Antiques Roadshow on public television, and wish that some of the items there were simply donated to a museum so that the general public may enjoy them. I realize that only about 5% of a museum collection ever sees the light of day in on display, but still...

If the slides go into the hands of a serious collector, someone who will actually do something worthwhile with them, then that could be really great for the general public as well, so I'm not saying that this option is necessarily a bad one. I just wanted to give an alternative view. Many museums today have a hard time with financing, and rely on generous donors to survive and generate funds for purchases.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin