Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,550   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FS: Olympus OM Special APUG only...plus a burning question answered!

In line with the other specials, I have 10 kits to offer for the Olympus OM1 / OM2 (or OM3 and OM4) models. Just like the other kits, these will be $8 each kit (sent anywhere) and payment will be mail-in for people in the USA whereas I can accept PayPal for folks in other countries. Please send me an email (to jon_goodman@yahoo.com) with your mailing address and tell me how many kits you want. Please limit yourself to 2 kits. I'll give you my mailing address or my PayPal email address at that time and we can rest easier knowing your OM will be all nice and ready for vacation. You will need to remind me to send you the instructions via email as they won't be printed and included with the kit at this price.

I'm chipping away at the cost of repair or replacement of the BBQ grill of death (please see the Minolta Special offer for more details) but very slowly. Given the nature of Texas and the incredible amount of sun we get here, my wife thinks I should direct my energies toward developing a solar grill, but I'm much more interested in a solar powered air conditioner. I'm not sure the technology is there yet, however.

Was that the answer to the burning question? Nope, it wasn't. Before I tell you the question and the answer, I'll tell you I find it interesting that even facing declining use of film and film cameras I still receive an average of over 60 email messages each day...mostly containing questions about cameras. And a question that is repeated almost once each week (and sometimes it seems to recur nearly every day) is "how can I check the meter in my camera?" There are lots of different answers, and probably none of them will be wrong, but here's a simple method I have trusted for decades:

1. Eat a carton of yogurt or if you have lactose intolerance or milk allergies in your family, have your least favorite child eat it. Yoplait Greek yogurt is a good one. When you're finished, wash and dry the plastic container well. You can also use a styrofoam coffee cup (the kind you get at hospital waiting rooms), but the yogurt container will be much more long-lasting and I think bringing it closer to the lens helps your reading be more correct.

2. Using scissors or a knife, carefully remove the plastic wrapping from the white carton. Once you get it started, it should be pretty easy to peel off. When you've done that, use scissors (or a knife) to carefully cut about an inch off the top of that carton, leaving you with a smaller and more shallow carton as in image 1 below.

3. This smaller carton should fit over a typical 50mm (or 35mm or any similar) lens. I would not use a zoom lens if I were you. You can see this in image 2 below. The end should fit nicely against the lens end.

4. Set your camera as I've done in image 3 below. ASA set to 125 (or 100 if 125 isn't a possible choice for you). Shutter speed to 1/125. Aperture set to 16 (or a bit past 16 if you must use ASA 100 speed). Now with the yogurt container held over your lens, go outside on a cloudless day and point your lens right at the sun. Your meter should see this scheme as ideal. If your meter reads a bit + or - in this scenario, you'll at least know what the right correction factor is...example 1/4 stop, 1/2 stop, etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    Email sent. Great tip!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Jon, Good advice thanks but here in Devon, UK, it falls over when you refer to "a cloudless day". I think the last one we had was in 1998.
    Steve :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    In the depth of summer I normally would be happy to pay quite a bit for a cloudy day. Maybe I should move over there, eh?
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people follow the sun, so why not follow the clouds as well? Should be less crowded.

Shooter
    35mm
    Following the clouds might be a pretty good plan. This winter (winter in Dallas defined as any day when the temperature doesn't exceed 80 F), my wife and I installed radiant barrier foil in our attic plus 9.5 inches of extra insulation. What a fun job! For a number of reasons, I wish we had done this when we were in our 30s. However, it seems to be improving things quite a bit. If summer heat is a problem, I would encourage anyone to consider the radiant barrier idea. It works like shade and the effect of it is cumulative, so that if you add more than one layer (separated by air space of an inch or more) the subsequent layers also reflect 95% of any radiant heat passed through to them. We just installed one layer. I think if I had suggested 2 layers my wife would have just shot me right in the head while I wasn't looking. At this point it seems it will lower the temperature of the attic's inner area by 30 degrees or more, plus (and this could be a very large plus) even on a day when the outside temperature only reaches the high 40s or low 50s and the sun is shining, the air between the hot side of the foil and your roof will be around 100 F or more. So I think it might not be so difficult to turn that into more or less free solar heating for your house.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bit off topic, but if you're greatly heating up the air between the barrier foil and the roof itself, you might be impacting the life of your shingles (assuming fiberglass or asphalt). Are you able to vent that air?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Great tip on using the yogurt container Jon. Just verified that my ME Super is indeed metering a stop under compared to all my other cameras and Luna Pro SBC. That might explain the clear negs . At least those new light seals are working good!

Shooter
    35mm
    Pretty far off topic, I think however yes...I vented the air 2 ways. One fan sucks air from between the foil and the roof decking and another sucks air from the inner cavity of the attic. I also doubled the amount of soffit vent screens to encourage better flow. The maker of the shingles says the reflected heat will not damage them. (they're a composition asphalt)

To even head further off topic (assuming I can get us further out into the weeds than I've already done), we owned an MGB back around 77. I think it was a 72. Drove it all over Texas, mostly with the top down. Loved the car, decided Lucas Electric was British Leyland's version of planned obsolescence. Or just planned failure.
    Jon
    Jon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the tip Jon!

My OM-1 has sat idle for quite sometime and I had to change the battery back in december (it was converted to 1.55V in '08). I Put a cheap LR44 batt I had (read well at that time) and in 3 months it now reads a stop under (compared to an EPL2), and it barely adjusts to sunny 16. Well, depending on the light conditions it reads well or under!
    This week I will buy an SR44 and that should fix it, the other lasted well over 3 years (came with the CLA).

I used to point the camera adjusted to sunny 16 settings to blue cloudless sky in a sunny day, but this incident method must work much better.
    I just have to see if I got one of these youghurts to eat. Last week I did have similar youghurt containers but threw them out, dang. I guess the plastic should be rather opaque, as I've got a plastic coffee cup, but it's quite translucent... Most important is that it covers the lens and quite close, right?

As of heat, a good solution by my mom is open everything at dawn, let ventilation do it's thing, and when the sun rises, close everything and then keep sunblinds low the whole day. Only downside is that the interior is kept rather dark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin