Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,062   Online: 804

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Atlanta Darkroom stuff

I have a whole bunch of trays, tanks, a 16x20 print washer, 16x20 easels, etc. that I need to clear out. If there are any ATLiens who are in need, I'd like to get them all sold locally to avoid shipping large items. I give you good price! Just PM me and I'll send a list. If you have anything specific you are looking for just let me know. I have way too much stuff.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I have a whole bunch of trays, tanks, a 16x20 print washer, 16x20 easels, etc. that I need to clear out. If there are any ATLiens who are in need, I'd like to get them all sold locally to avoid shipping large items. I give you good price! Just PM me and I'll send a list. If you have anything specific you are looking for just let me know. I have way too much stuff.
    What kind of 16x20 Easel?

I have a two blade adjustable Bogen I got off eBay as NOS. It was a great buy, but it's still a two blade and doesn't hold paper flat at the edges. I've been meaning to edge the base with some double sided tape but...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

I have a two blade adjustable Bogen I got off eBay as NOS. It was a great buy, but it's still a two blade and doesn't hold paper flat at the edges. I've been meaning to edge the base with some double sided tape but...
    Roger:

Ad some movable strong magnets to the blades after they are on top of the paper - they make a big difference.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Roger:

Ad some movable strong magnets to the blades after they are on top of the paper - they make a big difference.
    Well DUH. Add weight to the TOP of the blades.

Thanks for the tip!

I have a Saunders V-Track 11x14 and only bring out the Bogen to print larger. I'm afraid any easel is going to look less than ideal compared to my V-Track. I've seen the 16x20 V-Tracks come up for sale occasionally and they go for quite a price AND are undoubtedly ginormous. The 16x20 two blade is about the same size (and a lot lighter) as the 11x14 V-Track.

This may be just the easier trick I'm looking for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

It's the yellow 4 blade Saunders model. I use magnets on this one to keep everything nice and crisp.
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hum now that I think about it the tape was going to go on the other two sides. Magnets in the blades won't fix that. Need to take a closer look and see if there's something else I can do with those two sides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well DUH. Add weight to the TOP of the blades.

Thanks for the tip!

I have a Saunders V-Track 11x14 and only bring out the Bogen to print larger. I'm afraid any easel is going to look less than ideal compared to my V-Track. I've seen the 16x20 V-Tracks come up for sale occasionally and they go for quite a price AND are undoubtedly ginormous. The 16x20 two blade is about the same size (and a lot lighter) as the 11x14 V-Track.

This may be just the easier trick I'm looking for.
    Roger:

It isn't the weight of the magnets that makes the difference, it is the fact that they make the blades want to stick to the base itself.

When the blades are held tight to the base, the paper is squeezed flat.

If it is the other two edges that are causing the problem, look at carefully inserting something thin to ensure the paper is squeezed there as well.

And I agree - a 4 blade would be wonderful instead.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of my comments above were just from memory. I would need to go get the easel to be sure of how to proceed. I do seem to recall it's the non-blade sides that just don't hold the slightly curvy paper down enough. There's too much space for it to flop. I'll take a look soon when I get a chance and go magnet shopping.

So Parker, how much for that 4 blade Saunders?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Rog, It's $180.
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Parker. Sounds fair, but I can't really justify that when I have an 11x14 V-Track for most of my printing and would only use it for 16x20, or at least larger than 11x14.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin