Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,751   Online: 962

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three of the seven lenses shown in post #7 are still available...

Reinhold
    www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I love the 35mm (Kodachrome?) cans in the background ... cause I'm sure you would use 35mm film in one of those 20x24 cameras... haha I wonder how many strips of 35mm would be required to cover the surface haha.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    PS, what kind of focal length would we be talking if this were somehow be able to be mounted on a 4x5 camera (yes I know the glass is bigger than the damn piece of film haha, just go with it).

EDIT: I mean equivalent for the surface area size of the film ...
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 07-03-2013 at 03:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarificaiton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old rule of thumb when developing film was that one 8x10 film was the equivalent to one 36 exposure roll of 35mm film. A lazy parallelism would be that one 20x24 would equal six 35 exposure rolls of 35mm film. Izzat close enuff, or are you going to force me into breaking out my slide rule?... (If I can find it...)

Reinhold

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    The old rule of thumb when developing film was that one 8x10 film was the equivalent to one 36 exposure roll of 35mm film. A lazy parallelism would be that one 20x24 would equal six 35 exposure rolls of 35mm film. Izzat close enuff, or are you going to force me into breaking out my slide rule?... (If I can find it...)

Reinhold
    Haha close enough for sure

Really cool... and here I am saving up for a Toyo45a haha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    Hello Kurt,

Some time ago, I made a drawing which extrapolates the data in a nomograph I found in a Kodak Technical Handbook.

Using the traditioal rule of thumb which suggest that a "normal" lens focal length is about the same as the diagonal of the film, a "normal" lens for 11x14 would be about 450mm.

By the Kodak data, 450mm would be considered a "short normal" (120mm on a 4x5).
    I use a 450 on my 8x20 Canham as a "short normal" lens. (8x20 diagonal is the same as 11x14)

By Kodak, 600mm is closer to a tru "normal" for 11x14 and 8x20. (165mm on a 4x5)
    I use a 600mm on my 8x20 as a "normal normal" lens.

By Kodak data, "moderate telephoto" would be in the 760 to 850mm range. (200~210mm on a 4x5)
    I use a 760mm Rodenstock Apo-Ronar as my "moderate telephoto" lens on my 8x20.

My .pdf graphic may be a bit hard to read, I made the lines and text too small, but here it is four your edification...

Oh, and if you're asking if I have a lens for sale, that 760 Apo-Ronar is available here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...copal-3-a.html

Reinhold
    A delayed thanks for the chart and the lens offer.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finally managed to make some photo's using this lens.

They're scans of some great paper negatives here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...93#post1045893

Reinhold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin